How obscured is obscured? PD side windows on loft conversion

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a loft conversion and hope to do it permitted development. One idea is to put a dormer on for a double bed space. I was going to put it at the back, but the side is really a better location. But, windows will have to be obscured under PD rules (also, I know a neighbour applied for planning permission to have non-obscured glass on a side extension and this was rejected).

I just saw this photo and it looks great. Windows look frosted here:

great-room-with-bed-in.jpg

(Actually, this looks like a net curtain, but the overall effect is the same!)

My question is, how obscured does a side window need to be? When I had my windows replaced earlier this year the window obscurity was on a scale of 1 to 5. I assume it will be 3 or over, but cannot find any information on how obscured the glass needs to be.

Obvious, being a bed, I would want it obscured anyway! We will still have clear glass windows in other areas of the room (end gables).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if the legislation exists (probably somewhere) but normally as a condition of a planning application level3 would be required so I'm sure that'd be fine. But really your overthinking it, you could just slap some film on the window, god forbid you peeled it off after a few months!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back