How often should my external overflow pipe be dripping?

If you "taped up" the overflow pipe, how could you have no idea about what was in the loft? :confused:
I taped up the pipe only about a month ago.
In that case you've known for about a month what was in the loft.

Yes, what I am saying is that I had no idea what was in the loft before all the work was done.

Softus said:
ODB said:
I haven't done everything to regulations and textbook standards but how am I supposed to know?
You seem to be defensive about it - if you want to act on the observations, then feel free. If you want to ignore them, then feel free.

I surely do appreciate all of your advice but I am asking you guys as you are the experts. Forgive me for sounding defensive but I am not a plumber by trade! I saw a drip and fixed it!

OK so far I know the overflow piiping is a bit dodgy and the ball valve could probably do with replacing but I'm still not sure whether this overflow is behaving normally?? Is the amount of water it's spitting out usual?

Sponsored Links
ODB said:
OK so far I know the overflow piiping is a bit dodgy and the ball valve could probably do with replacing but I'm still not sure whether this overflow is behaving normally?? Is the amount of water it's spitting out usual?
You still haven't answered the basic questions:

1. Which cistern is overflowing?
2. Is the float valve dripping?

Sponsored Links
1. Which cistern is overflowing?
2. Is the float valve dripping?
1. Am sure it's the small one in the pic as that's overflowing.
2. Not as far as I can see.
If the float valve isn't worn/faulty (common cause #1), then the water is coming either from the vent or back up the cold feed (or both if you have a combined vent/cold feed).

If the former, then the system is pumping over - see common cause #2 and #3.

If the latter, then see common cause #4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back