How safe is this front door lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pics below are of my new front door lock. How safe is this?

In particular, when I'm indoors, I can turn the key and deadlock it, however when I go to work, I can't deadlock it from the outside, so what is to stop someone smashing the glass of the door (admittedly pretty thick glass) and opening the door with the handle without needing a key?

I don't want to be paranoid, but want to know where I stand security-wise as have had a few friends burgled recently. :( View media item 52979 View media item 52980 View media item 52981

Sponsored Links
I think mine is similar.
I thought the idea was that you could lock it from the inside, then go out and shut the door behind you, and it wouldn't be openable if someone breaks the window.
Also if you feel vulnerable in your own home, you would deadlock it when you're inside.

Sponsored Links
Aha is that how it works? I'll have a go in the morning, I'll deadlock it, then go out, come in from the back door, and check whether or not it's still deadlocked from the inside.

That does sound sensible, I thought it was more likely that I was being stupid than the lock manufacturers!

It's a rim latch - hardly secure on it's own if somebody kicks the door in

Fit a 5 lever mortice lock 1/3 from bottom of the door, you can also fit a London bar on the lock side and a Birmingham bar on the hinge side. Don't forget 3 ball bearing hinges with hinge bolts.

Anything that I have missed???

Andy

Thing is, I haven't got lots of spare cash, so trying to decide which is more important, better physical security i.e. locks and bars, or security lighting in my front garden, or camera surveillance, or even fake cameras as a deterrent (can burglars generally spot a fake?)

I don't like not feeling secure, but I don't have lots of money or DIY skills to do much about it. :(

With a good timber door and well fitted lock like that, the biggest risk is that someone will think they can break the glass and unlock it. When they find it's deadlocked, do you think it's likely they will start trying to kick the door in?
If so you need another lock low down. You need to be able to lock it from inside and out ie 5 lever deadlock. It wouldn't take more than an hour for a fitter. Then you won't need to spend your money on carp electronics.

One good kick and the frame will give way.
Takes me at least two kicks to do a mortice lock. ;)

Not with a London Bar fitted you won't!
Agreed! I wasn't trying to frighten the OP, merely to point out that any rim latch type of lock isn't really all that secure. London bars aren't that expensive (circa £20) and would beef up the front door security for a lot less money than a dummy camera IMHO.

Thing is, I haven't got lots of spare cash, so trying to decide which is more important, better physical security i.e. locks and bars, or security lighting in my front garden, or camera surveillance, or even fake cameras as a deterrent (can burglars generally spot a fake?)
The first most important is the locks, the security lights is debatable as most are saying you're helping the burglar to see what they're doing! The camera is a bonus but won't solved crimes. If you haven't got a mortice lock then you must fit them due to your household insurance could be invalid.

FYI, your lock is a Yale PBS1 High Security Nightlatch, you open the door then then lock the handle inside then shut the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back