How the over 50s do their home repairs and improvements!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From a survey by Saga Insurance of DIY by the over 50s-

Over 50s don't do it yourself!

Only one in ten over 50s carry out major DIY work at home
One in four (25%) splash out on a professional tradesmen for DIY
Twice as many under 50s need help for DIY mishaps
Despite the credit crunch the house-proud over 50s are refusing to compromise when it comes to making improvements to their home. Research conducted by Saga Home Insurance reveals a quarter (24%) of over 50s never carry out DIY work themselves, with one in four (25%) opting to employ a tradesman to ensure the job is done professionally. A further 47% of cost-conscious over 50s rope in their partner or a family member to help out with handyman jobs.

However when DIY jobs don't quite go to plan, one in five (21%) under 50s have had to call in the professionals to fix a botched DIY job compared to only 10% of the older generation.
However, the physical dangers of DIY are also apparent as nearly a third (31%) of the over 50s have incurred an injury whilst carrying out DIY in their homes, with 3% even requiring hospital treatment.

Sponsored Links
I think that says a lot more about the Under 50's than the overs!!!!

Few years ago old guy across the road from me 73 year old up on roof , no roof ladder just walked up re doing his ridge tiles. Fair play to him fit as a fiddle and as strong as an ox

How do you persuade a nerdy ARGI engineer to fix some ridge tiles?

Sponsored Links
Few years ago old guy across the road from me 73 year old up on roof , no roof ladder just walked up re doing his ridge tiles. Fair play to him fit as a fiddle and as strong as an ox

I'm only 72 namsag! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I always used to get my roof TV serial fixed by Rod Hull, but he hasn't been round lately.

I'm less than half your age, still wouldn't catch me on a roof with no ferkin ladder!

Its not just his ladder that bolo is still getting up , not bad for an old yin :LOL:

Ah but... You found difficulty in locating a (ripe) packet of fish inside your hardly cavernous -car-- that was at least a year ago..

:D

Sponsored Links
Back