How to attach a door casing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Bought some wickes rebated door casings and hoping to install them this week. I believe I need to assemble them square before putting in place. Should I add some wood glue into the joins, or not bother?

I will then use diagonal braces to hold square, put it in the hole and use spacers until all plumb and square. My walls are a combination of brickwork and studs. Should I always screw through the door casing into the wall/stud and then simply put filler over the screws or is there another way?

Also how and where should I place the screws? I assume these need to hold the door casing very firm so that there is no movement later.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where possible screw through your packing pieces/wedges - this will stop the frame being pulled out of square when tightening. Don't be tempted to nail into the studs as screws will allow for any fine tuning required.

Gluing the header joints is best and 4 -5 fixings points (possibly doubled up) either side is usually sufficient. If you can, try to line them up so they will be covered by the door stop.

Filler is ok for any visible holes but wooden plugs are a better option if you are varnishing or staining.

Re the packing pieces. I see you can buy plastic spacer kits. Is this better than wood packing?

I would use timber to pack and screw through but the various sized plastic packers can give you better adjustment if the opening is higgledy piggledy. (I love that phrase!)

Plastic packers won't expand/contract like timber might but either are suitable.

Sponsored Links
after you have packed it square and screwed it, squirt fireproof expanding foam into the gap. This will block smoke, dust and noise, and when it sets, will hold the door very firmly into place, and will not come loose.

if you put strong tape or tack a batten over the gap, it will stop the foam expanding outwards and will keep it in the gap. When set you can trim it back with a knife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back