How to bond to microbore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new to this website - what a fantastic resource!

One question I can't find an answer to though regards the equipotential bonding of a bathroom radiator with microbore pipes . The pipes are 10mm microbore, how do I connect my earth wire to this?

I've had a pretty thorough search on the net but can't find a suitable clip.

Is it acceptable to use jubilee clips on the pipes? The other idea I had was to effectively build-up the diameter of the microbore pipes using 15mm copper pipe cut down the middle and wrapped around the microbore (difficult to explain this!), then use a normal earth clamp.

I'm assuming I have to connect both inlet and outlet pipes plus the rad itself.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Thanks TTC,

If those clamps are the same type as I already have (I think they are), they're far too big for microbore. They do fit on the pipes don't they?

I don't want to replumb my house as I'm about to move out, so I'm stuck with the pipes that are there.

There must be a pipe clamp available from somewhere...

The ones TTC linked to connect to the radiator as opposed to the pipes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks S123. I assumed that by posting the link it would be obvious.
But I forgot that if one assumes it makes an ass out of u and me.

SKIDUDE, just bond onto the rad using the item i posted, no need to bond onto microbore then.

TTC

Doh! Sorry, I understand now.

Thanks for your help guys,

It's just that I've been told by 2 electricians that the pipes need to be bonded as well.

Seeing as none are available I'll just connect to the radiator and hope that when I get my inspection done they don't fail the install for un-bonded pipes.

Are the pipes commissioned yet?

I would sweat the conductors on, that way, they don't need to be accessible...

Use micc (mims) bare copper clips on the microbore pipe then nut/bolt bond conductor through the clip hole, thread a 951 label onto the bonding conductor.
I've used this method on small bore oil pipes.

Unfortunately securespark, the pipes are already commissioned..

I bought the radiator clip TTC suggested, thanks.

Thanks for your suggestion comms. Where can I buy the micc bare copper clips from? I searched the web with no success. B&Q had something similar but 12mm dia. After measuring my radiator pipe with a vernier the microbore's actually 8mm.

Thanks,

Tenby earth clamps seem fine to me for microbore pipes. They are of a different constuction to bog standard BS951 earth clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back