how to build a concrete bbq

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
hi,

i'm looking for an effective recipe to a concrete mix to help build a raised concrete bbq,like the one you see in the image, i will not use any bricks, i'm trying to get a strong structure that will not crack and is heat resisting . any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cast your chosen shape in timber, add 6mm bars for reinforcing, mix 3:1 ballast and cement and add 1/2 lime.

thanks Johnny2007, so that's 3 part ballast ,1 part portland cement, 1/2 part lime! i'm thinking of adding liquid dye to the water before mixing it, that wont be a problem !

No, colour won't affect the mix.
Make sure you shake the cast properly to get rid of air bubbles.
Put it on a wooden board so you can shake, hammer, vibrate and anything else to get the mix air bubble free.
Curiosity: why not bricks?

Sponsored Links
i have no skills whatsoever with masonry work or building but i have some with concrete work, that's why i want to avoid bricks, and to get the shape i want (plz c the image in my fist post) it will be difficult too achieve that with bricks, also i want to have a mobile structure i dont think i will be able to do that with bricks. and i think cost wise it will be quiet economical using your recipe :)

I can't see any image.
Anyhow, you will need to cast the shape out of wood, chipboard etc.
If you want to move it at later date, make sure to cast sections small enough to be lifted easily (25/30 kg max)

thanks a lot for your advice johnny2007. about the shape/mold i'm planning to do exactly what you recommended and let it cure for many days .
i have re-uploaded the image , i hope it is visible now, sorry i'm new to the forum and still learning how to add images to posts.

Keep the drying concrete in the shade and cover it with a tarpaulin.
Once it's superficially cured (a day or even 2) uncover and keep in the shade for few more days.
When I do these things I like to let everything dry for a week before opening the cast, then let dry one more day.
After that you can smooth angles and sharp bits with a grinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back