How to change heating element in Hotpoint FDW80 dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting the AL code on the screen indicating a problem with the heating element. The machine is about 3 years old. I called Hotpoint and ordered a new element, but I have no idea how to change it. Where do I start? front, back, bottom of the unit? Any instructions / service manual would be great, thanks.

Sponsored Links
tip mc upside down remove 6 screws on the bottom plate lift of ,you will see heater tube with 2 clips round it connected by 2 hoses ,did you order the 2 jubilee clips as well if not try moter factors ,test heater first with a meter cos it might have taken the board out as well, if it shows al10 at the end of wash its caused by overfoaming if it does it straight away poss the heater.

Thanks. Yes AL 10 comes up at the end of a wash, sometimes half way through it. How do you prevent over foaming?

dont use 3 in one AND rinse aid and salt ,it causes overfoaming 3 in 1 on its own is good to use .your heater is not faulty run a cleaner though it to clean it out .

Sponsored Links
hmm, I've not had three cycles with NO cleaning tabs, gels, anything in, just water, and AL 10 still comes up.

The replacement element arrived today, I will fit tomorrow and see if it clears the error code.

ok I replaced the heating element this morning. The old one did look a little scaled up. Good tip re. getting new jubilee clips, I had to make a trip to the local DIY store to get some as getting the old ones back on is impossible.

However... now I started the first wash (empty machine) and get error code AL 05 on the screen!! What does that one mean?

Newer Hotpoint, Creda, Ariston and Indesit Dishwashers:

AL01 - Anti flood switch operated
AL02 - Valve or connections
AL03 - Time out - drain
AL04 - Thermistor (module)
AL05 - Circulation pump
AL06 - Time out - fill
AL07 - Not used
AL08 - Time out - heat
AL09 - Software recogntion error
AL10 - Heating circuit
AL99 - Communications error - connectors, cables etc.
H20 - Time out - fill (taps)

Thanks Rocks1., So, how do I fix: AL05 - Circulation pump ?

What does it look like so I can identify it in the bottom of the machine?

circ pump is next to heater with a big spring on it .is it pluged in check that and then turn the little slotted screw at the end of it does it turn .poss might have water leaked on to it .leave it to dry and try tomorrow.

ok, lfet over night, still not working this morning, AL 05 again.

Took bottom off, all wires are connected to the circ pump, I can spin using the slotted screw just fine.

I know it was working before I changed the heating element so I'm stumped at what I've done. I'm about to call Hotpoint to have one of their engineers come out now =(

*Update*
I just found the exact same unit on eBay, only used for 3 months for £80 so I purchased that instead. Cheaper than calling Hotpoint service engineer out!

ok, lfet over night, still not working this morning, AL 05 again.

Took bottom off, all wires are connected to the circ pump, I can spin using the slotted screw just fine.

I know it was working before I changed the heating element so I'm stumped at what I've done. I'm about to call Hotpoint to have one of their engineers come out now =(

*Update*
I just found the exact same unit on eBay, only used for 3 months for £80 so I purchased that instead. Cheaper than calling Hotpoint service engineer out!

Hmm junk post for some reason?? why do a cut and paste of a year old post unless you wish to spam??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back