How to construct top of wooden units?

K

Klaus_K

Hi peeps,

I am thinking of building a TV/HiFi Unit for my lounge and I'd like to use a nice looking natural timber if at all possible. I've found web sites that can sell the simple beams/legs etc and I think I can fill in the sides using a matching veneered plywood (using a router to cut a rebate into the surround.

However, I can't think of an approach for constructing the top of the unit :(

Ideally, I'd like this to be attractive with as much wood as possible (e.g. no non-wood insert). It'll also ned to be reasonably strong, to take the weight of books etc. and the possibility of kids sitting on it.

I guess I could use something like a kitchen worktop, but this would be too thick and clunky and would spoil the look of the thing. Any advice??

Sponsored Links
Appropriate lengths of timber joined together using biscuits makes for a nice finish.

As Eric said - you can't see the joins!!

Any good?

What tools do you have? Do you have a biscuit cutter?

if not, do you have a dowel jig?

You can select the timber lengths for the top and then join them together using biscuits or dowels (and glue of course) Make the initial top smaller than required, clamp it and leave it to dry.

Once done, you can then use timber face up for all the edges - this will hide the end grain of the timber you used for the main top. Mitre the corners then fix the 'facing' on using biscuits/dowel.

That way you don't see any screws or nails and there is no filling.

Sand down to a fine finish and then add a stain/varnish of your choice.

Fairly easy to do. Just take your time.

You could just glue it all but not recommended if the kids will be sitting on it!!

Sponsored Links
Planning on buying a biscuit cutter - looks like I can get a decent one for around £50. I can buy other tools as necessary (within reason).

Other than that I have an electric table saw, electric mitre saw, circular saw and a decent workbench that I made last year, plus various clamps, hammers, chisels etc.

Cheeky side question: are there any electric saws that are capable of producing a clean enough cut for furniture making (I am really lazy ;)).

Thanks

Hi peeps,

I am thinking of building a TV/HiFi Unit for my lounge and I'd like to use a nice looking natural timber if at all possible. I've found web sites that can sell the simple beams/legs etc and I think I can fill in the sides using a matching veneered plywood (using a router to cut a rebate into the surround.

However, I can't think of an approach for constructing the top of the unit :(

Ideally, I'd like this to be attractive with as much wood as possible (e.g. no non-wood insert). It'll also ned to be reasonably strong, to take the weight of books etc. and the possibility of kids sitting on it.

I guess I could use something like a kitchen worktop, but this would be too thick and clunky and would spoil the look of the thing. Any advice??
How thick were you thinking, oak work top starts at 28mm , hardly clunky?

How thick were you thinking, oak work top starts at 28mm , hardly clunky?

Aaah - didn't know that - sounds like a nice simple option :)

If you're just looking to construct is simply a top surface then you do not necessarily need anything fancy, and depending on how much work you want to do to it (decorative touches and what not) or if you just want to wrap the project up, then you're probably best off ordering cut-to-size wood and then just making the last few touches yourself.

This is what I do when I am getting toward the end of a project and all the fun stuff has been done and I'm just looking for a nice easy finish, that I can then just quickly spruce up and make look presentable.

I have used a number of different websites to order cut to size wood off, but I blog that I read suggested this one http://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk/. I have to be honest, I have not used it myself, but this guy said it was good and i'd rather give you his recommendation and be wrong than give you my own and be wrong :p

Hope it all goes well for you, I bet you'll make it look awesome no matter how you go about it.

the top itself can be fairly thin, but if it's going to be sat on it will need some strengthening battens underneath. These can be set back from the front edge and will be hardly visible.

Funnily enough I have just ordered all my timber from http://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk - their site is pretty good, and the wood looks gorgeous :) This was before I'd seen your post recommending this site.

I'm having a problem finding somewhere that sells veneered plywood for the sides etc so any advice there would be gratefully received!

Funnily enough I have just ordered all my timber from http://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk - their site is pretty good, and the wood looks gorgeous :) This was before I'd seen your post recommending this site.

I'm having a problem finding somewhere that sells veneered plywood for the sides etc so any advice there would be gratefully received!

Well I am glad to hear that it is a good site, I would hate to be giving out bad intel. I think I shall try it out myself sometime.

Unfortunately i cannot say that I have seen any around on my travels, but then again I have not really looked. Leave it with me and I'll have a scout around :) I am sure that between the two of us we will find you a place that sells veneered plywood.

Try this company. http://meyertimber.com/ I cannot say where they deliver or whether they will cut to size. I bought Oak faced ply from them via my local builders merchants, but I did have a full 8 x4 sheet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back