How to correct a 2 spurs situation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a problem in our kitchen where I found a 2-gang socket on the ring
final has 2 spurs from it. One is to an FCU for an outside light & timer
and the other is to an FCU for a combi-boiler.

[ The one to the combi-boiler also spurs off to feed the
ignition for the gas hob, but under the worktop just protrudes
a small length of 2.5mm T&E with a choc block. ]

My concern is the amount of wires in the back of the socket
providing the spurs. What would be the best solution to this?

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
To daisy chain the spur off an FCU would do it. I think the answer here though will be determined more by what is physically possible.

Use a dual box.

You will have to cut out the wall a bit as it is a bit wider than a double.

However it will hold two single sockets, wired as part of the ring, and you can take a spur from each.

It does not have to be sockets, you can use FCUs or two of any other single accessories.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that,

I've never heard of a dual box.

But how would the ring be altered to bring the 2nd socket into use to spur of of it ? If it involves crimping , I'm knackered.

Pete

Consider two sockets on the ring.

The supply goes into socket 1, comes out again (from the same terminals) then there is a length of cable connecting it to socket 2, then the ring continues out of socket 2.

The dual box enables this to happen... but the two sockets are very close and the cable between then is very short.

p1444581_l.jpg

Many thanks John,

what I'd 1st thought was that the 2nd socket would be a spur off the 1st socket in the dual box, which I then couldn't take another spur from.

Got it now!

Cheers,

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back