how to cover spot light hole in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've extended my bathroom further onto the landing, now that i've taken the old wall down and built the new wall, i have an old landing spot light inside the bathroom. i want to move the light switch, old light fitting and fill the hole from the spot light before i have it skimmed.

so my question is, how do i fill the hole or do i have to have it reboarded?

thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
This method works for smallish holes; get some plasterboard, cut it to size, stick it into the hole with grab adhesive, stick some reinforcing tape around the join, skim over, job done, no problems. You may have to dress the hole slightly so it’s a uniform shape & cut the infill around 2mm smaller than the hole to allow a good measure of grab adhesive in there. Keep the infill flat & roughly the same level as the rest of the cieling, although it's not that critical if re-skimming.

I had to cut a number of 100mm dia holes in a couple of ceilings to aid re-wiring where I had no access from above; all I did was keep the round cut outs & stick them back into the holes with grab adhesive & reinforcing with tape around the join prior to a re-skim.

Sponsored Links
if its in the upsairs bathroom - cut a sqaure of pboard about an inch bigger than the hole , get into the loft go round the hole with grap adhesive press the Sq of pboard over hole and leave to set, this will leave a 12mm deep hole in the ceiling - reskim/fill hole

oops just noticed this is from 2008 doh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back