how to cut an old carpet

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a cheap old carpet, feels like acrylic, not woven, on a dense black rubber backing (not foam or waffle). The backing is old and crumbly and makes black dust.

I am having a new floor laid and want to take up the carpet, and cut it into manageable pieces so I can put it in sacks and carry downstairs without shedding this rubber dust.

What's a good tool to use?

Sponsored Links
half off it will probably stick to the floor

big scissors or a bit off 3/6mm board slid under and a stanley knife rolling the offcut and sliding the board as you go
its going to be messy whatever you do

Carpet layers cut old carpet into 1metre strips and then run a role of tape around them so that they don't come undone. Then if you want you can place them into a rubble bag.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Yes, Stanley knife with new blade...............makes it much easier. Lift the carpet up as you cut through it as not to damage the floor below.

Andy

ta, but am taking up old chipboard to fit a new floor, so doesn't matter about scratches from cutting carpet

At ordinary ponted blade?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back