how to descale kettling boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my boiler is making "kettling" noise and I have read on the internet that it could be due to scaling. There are products such as Fernox and sentinel which could be used. Has anyone used these before and, if yes, do these need to be carried out by a plumber or can I do this. Also, can I still use the hot water whilst the chemicals are in there or is it harmful?

More info on this: combi boiler from IMI Range Limited and 12 years old.

Thanks a lot for any help! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
the ones sentinel make are injected in the top of a partly drained rad.

as far as i know they stay in the system forever, and although never used them myself one of our engineers has, and apparantley give good results.

Sponsored Links
FIRST QUESTION is what type of system & boiler do u have, U must not put descaler in a primatic cylinder system.More info required to answer.

kiki8 said:
.. Also, can I still use the hot water whilst the chemicals are in there or is it harmful?

I hope you are not planning to drink the water out of your radiators, or brush your teeth in it? The primary water just circulates round and round and is not used up and does not get into the taps (usually).

It will be useful if you say if you have a hot water cylinder; if you have a little header tank (Feed & Expansion) in the loft; how old your boiler is, what make and model it is; if you have previously used a corrosion inhibiter in it.

(outpaced by bab :( )

We have absolutely no information on his boiler or system.

For all we know he may have a directly heated water ststem!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back