1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

How to dismantle a water tap

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by juco, 19 Oct 2006.

1. juco

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am trying to dismantle a sink tap and have got as far as taking the tap`cover` off but not quite sure where to go from there, I have tried a wrench on the brass part but doesnt seem to move so dont want to force it. I have added pics below to help.....thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HarrogateGas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Put a bit more effort into the wrenching of the brass part.......you on the right lines.

3. JohnD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When you say "dismantle" what do you want to do? Take it off so you can fit a new tap (use the nut underneath), or open it up to fit a new washer or something (use the top nut)?

4. Bamber gaspipe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Apply heat with a blowtorch (gently) & these will be removable, if your doing the cold tap make sure you turn off mains :eek: if doing hot tap make sure you empty hot water cylinder by opening all hot taps first, (if you have a combi do same anyway) you can buy tap revivers whereby you just get rid of your c*rap tap handles & fit new ones without the need for a robbing plumber ;) Like me :eek:

5. sime10

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You have got the right nut try holding the tap against you with a shifter or you may crack the basin

6. juco

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies, I want to dismantle and clean it as it requires a heavy hand hand to stop it dripping, it may need a new washer. So not looking to replace the taps (hopefully)

juco

7. Bamber gaspipe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    NEW HEADS FIFTEEN QUID TIGHT ASS!!!!