How to get 20 years out of 150mm timber posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Concreting timber posts.Any tips please as would like to get at least 20 years out of them.Will be treating them with Ronseal and they are pressure treated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Place the posts on a bed of loose gravel. This prevents concrete enclosing the bottom of the posts and maintains drainage from the end grain.

Will they still be strong enough,as I am hanging 200kg gates to them.
They are 8 ft tall.

Sponsored Links
?? Sorryy could you please advice then any alternative. The post are 150x150mm
Thanks.

for a heavy gate, a steel stanchion set in concrete will last. You can dress it by building a brick pier or wood cladding round it.

A single post or pier will lean. You can hang a gate off a pier at the end of a wall, because the wall will help keep it upright.

If you put a sturdy lintel across the tops of your posts, they will brace each other to resist inward lean when the gates are closed (but not when they are open)

?? Sorryy could you please advice then any alternative. The post are 150x150mm
Thanks.

440x440mm brick pier sitting on 750x750x750 concrete foundation with 600 concrete with 100x100mm box section sat in concrete in middle of pier.
Concrete to cavity on completion.
Regards oldun

Thanks a lot.

So timber post are out of question. Sorry oldun call me old school, but trying to avoid brick pier or metal post due to asthetics and also costs.

Can the bracing method work. If I buy 2x150mm posts and brace it with a 100mm on top will it work. What is the best approach.

Does a timber post rot due to concrete reacting with wood. I have seen someone suggesting a waterproof sheet around post before laying in concrete.

How come i see these big mansions having wooden posts on their palace type gates and not brick piers. Are there special ones for them and cheaper for us plebs.

Also just found out gates weigh exactly 150 kg for both. They are 6ft tall and 3 metre wide(1.5 each gate.)

show us some photos of the mansion gateposts you have in mind. I expect they will be solid oak, and braced.

You asked a question, we gave you an answer.
You did not like the answer, so use your own discretion.
Regards oldun :eek:

Thanks oldun. I do understand what you mean,and I did like the answer, but was basically looking for a alternative and a cheaper one.

John will get a photo for you in the evening. Definitely timber softwood those posts, not green oak.How would one go about bracing those posts and what size.
Just done some googling, and wondering if a 100mm post across the posts will be enough. I will cut notches in the posts and screw them. Is this acceptable.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back