How to get rid of pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a house with a fairly large pond in the garden. The previous owners have removed the fish and emptied out the water, and now all that is left is a roughly 10-15cm thick layer of green slimy junk at the bottom of the pond.
My aim is to pave over it. Not interested in turning it into a flower bed.
How can I best do this?
Would I be right in saying full it with hardcore and then paving slabs on top? Or hardcore, then topsoil and then paving slabs?
Any advice would be helpful

Thank you

Sponsored Links
We had that and yanked out the liner with difficulty and got a tenner on Gumtree for it.
Then we filled it with soil by leveling the general area and waited for grass (and weeds) to grow. No need for hard core unless you're parking on it or making a soakaway, for a patio it would help stop it sinking though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
Do I need to break the concrete at the bottom to allow for drainage? I'm planning on paving that area off and maybe putting a garden swing there so maybe hardcore is a good option?

Not sure how well patios would drain in the first place, they're not classed as permeable. Usually you would lay them to a small fall and make sure the lower end can soak away effectively enough.

If it has a concrete base its easier. Is it a fully contained masonary structure like a small swimming pool?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back