How to improve insulation

Tonight I'll put the thermostat up to 24 but later in the evening the lounge won't get above about 18 and it feels absolutely freezing.
Then your radiators are undersized or the boiler is not heating the water up to a suitable temperature, or the flow is restricted in the pipework (or incorrectly balanced), or the main stat is faulty or in the wrong place.

It was mentioned earlier that irrespective of anything else, a CH system should be able to heat a room up and keep it warm.

So you need to sort out your heating system before anything else, and before looking for any other answers or solutions.

Sponsored Links
A certain temperature of a surface does not equate to it being a "cold" surface or that the air (ie room) around it is a cold room.

Slightly off topic, but I always chuckled in my mind when we had to have hand-held temperature readers pointed at us during the the middle of Winter in stricter Covid times. All those cold foreheads making people think they were safe!

Slightly off topic, but I always chuckled in my mind when we had to have hand-held temperature readers pointed at us during the the middle of Winter in stricter Covid times. All those cold foreheads making people think they were safe!
My kids scout troop did that, and sent kids to sit back in air conditioned cars in the summer if they failed!

I visited an out-patient department a while ago and they were using one on everyone who walked in the department :)

Sponsored Links
Pump had failed and has now been replaced. No idea yet if this will help with the problem of the lounge being cold but the engineer that came out suggested turning the rad in the hall off as he thinks its getting so hot there the thermostat is switching the system off while the rest of the house isn't heated enough.
Obviously only went in yesterday but it looks like the pump might have been the problem, guess it was on its way out for a while before it completely gave up. Its noticeably warmer today with the thermostat set a couple of degrees lower than it has been. Also turned off the rad in the hall so we'll see how things are over the next couple of days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back