Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• collapsing bowl.jpg
    collapsing bowl.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
I would probably go for a decent PVA type wood glue - pref a moisture resistant one. Both Gorilla (PU) and PVA type wood glues tend to be stronger than the wood themselves so should form a strong repair so long as the surfaces to be joined meet cleanly. Why I would avoid Gorilla (PU) glue is because it foams as it cures and you clean up after it has cured - something that could be tricky in this instance. A PVA glue on the other hand can have excess cleaned away with a damp cloth as soon as the surfaces are joined.

To make things more confusing though I've been using Gorilla wood glue, which is a PVA type glue, with good results!

Also I'd recommend wiping the surfaces to be joined with a solvent to remove any oils from the surface of the joint (in case the wood is an oily hardwood) prior to glueing.

Thanks @Chud I didn't know whether normal PVA glue would work because of the tension on the spiral.

@just pumps It would be quite fiddly to do this. Don't think normal clamps would fit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Chud I didn't know whether normal PVA glue would work because of the tension on the spiral.

@just pumps It would be quite fiddly to do this. Don't think normal clamps would fit.
I wouldn't use 'normal PVA' I would use a specific wood glue like Titebond 2 or 3, Gorilla Wood, Evo Stik (blue) etc...

If it really is under tension, then any of the PVA glues will allow "creep" over time. You want a glue that doesn't do that. Cascamite or epoxy I'd have thought.

Actually cascamite might be a good choice as per Dave54's comment.

Thanks for the advice. Gorilla wood glue worked perfectly. If it breaks apart again, I'll use cascamite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back