How to make a cast of decorative masonry ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a semi-detached house built 1897. There is a decorative masonry moulding in the entrance porch that has been half broken away by a previous secondary outer door. My plan is to make a copy of the intact one on the neighbour's house. What is the best way to make a cast, bearing in mind that I can't have shuttering / supports blocking the neighbour's doorway for too long!?

Sponsored Links
Might have to try and make a cast with air drying clay so I can make a quick impression...

Sponsored Links
clay will not work if there are undercut features, or if the part was made up with several mouldings fixed together.

It will only work if the squeeze can be pulled straight off

Firstly the two castings shown have different profiles and are not the same.
Secondly there are undercuts on that cast and you will not be able to run a mould of any sense.
Thirdly, an old school bricklayer or plasterer should be able to run that cast freehand with ultra rapid hardening cement small piece of thin ally and few stainless steel screws.
Regards oldun

There is an 'identical' pattern elsewhere on the house, but I see what you mean about the undercut.

Might have to go down the cemetary and exhume a late nineteenth century builder!

3d laser scanner and load the data into a 5 axis cnc machine center to cut the new mould.
Simples.

I was able to bring the dead Victorian builder back to life using the HT coil from an old TV set, but he had no idea what a laser was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back