How to make a large wooden rectangle frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably a really basic thing, but I'm making thin wooden frames approx 2x1m out of 2x1" timber to put netting on. I'm screwing the pieces together rather than using brackets.

I got one built nice and square eventually but it's a right pain trying to hold two long bits of wood square while drilling/screwing without at least one extra arm!

There must be a trick but it's so big and unwieldy and flimsy until all 4 corners are fixed?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I would have clamped the corners together and maybe fitted a temporary diagonal. But with a 2x1 frame presumably only fixed in the corners with no brackets it'll always be somewhat fragile

I would have clamped the corners together and maybe fitted a temporary diagonal. But with a 2x1 frame presumably only fixed in the corners with no brackets it'll always be somewhat fragile
Yeah it is but that's fine. The mesh adds a fair amount of rigidity... these are going to be used to protect fruit bushes but it's very similar to what you see for mosquito screening - really basic. The one I built already is fine, strength-wise as long as I treat it properly.

Take a 12" square bit of ply/mdf about 1/2" thick.
Cut 2 bits of 2x1 or 2x2 timber
Place the first bit of timber and line it up with an edge of the ply- about 2" from the corner.
Screw though the ply into the timber.
At that corner, fix another bit of 2x2 in the same way on the next edge of the ply.
(If the sides were numbered 1-4 we are using 1&2)

Then use clamps to hold each piece of frame material so that they meet in the corner and you can fix together.

You could also use triangles of ply in the corners- needs to be weather resistant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back