Making/Framing a mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I want a framed mirror of a certain size and look to go in a certain spot, so thought i'd have a go at making one. I dont have a router so i thought i'd get the depth by using some trim [20x8mm] around the edge.. mirror glass butting up to this, and a ply backing. What i'm wondering now about is what might be the best/most convenient way of putting the frame itself together.. i have wood glue and small panel pins, but no large clamps.. and even if i had long clamps i imagine the mitres would be slippery buggers to hold until they set. I remember seeing some metal corner brackets that you could screw in the back, i guess you could just glue the corners, screw those in, then that would be solid enough to knock a pin in, or would do as is.

Anyone know where i could get those, or have some more idea's for putting it together?

Sponsored Links
You could always use 2-part "Mitre Mate" glue to hold the corners together - sets in 2 minutes. I'd consider adding a diagonal saw kerf to each of the corners and then glue-in triangular veneer "fillets" for extra strength:

VeneerMitredCorner.jpg

If your frame has no rebate, how do you intend to hold the glass in? That's what the rebate is used for. If you don't have a router it is possible to produce one by gluing two pieces of timber together, thus:

Built-UpRebate.jpg

To hold the timbers together whilst the glue dries, use masking tap to bind the pieces

Scrit

I'm not much good at this sort of thing, but given the difficulty of constructing a mitre with any strength, I was thinking you might put the glass mirror on a piece of ply, then fix picture-frame edging to the ply, with the glass held in the rebate?

Hi m8, i was gonna do exactly that, add trim around the frame edge to give a rebate, 20x8mm strips. I like the kerf idea, but all my saws are probably too coarse.. where would u get the fillets, or would you make em? That mitre mate sounds like good stuff too, will see if i can get some.

Sponsored Links
Hmnn..thats a good idea JohnDexcept that i was thinking it'd be best if i tacked the trim onto the frame timbers and cut as one piece to get clean mitres.. i can imagine it getting messy if i try to do them seperately... thinking as i type.... i suppose i could do what i intended, but tack 3 sides on the way you describe, slide the glass in, then only have a top piece to glue/fix, which would be a lot easier. Might be a problem with the filler getting in the way there.. the 20x8mm im using to make a rebate will leave a 2mm gap behind the glass and i had thought to use draught excluder or something as a packer.. might be ok though. Would that work or is there something normally used that better fits the purpose?

edit : i can tack the trim and frame members together lightly just to make the cuts then put it together back -> front as u suggest.. for packing the glazier let me have a load of those sticky corkpads they use which work out just right :)

In case this is of use to someone else later on.. an update : had a look for Mitre Mate, and Tavis Perkins wanted nearly £20 for a pot of it, so fooked off that idea right away, as that would almost double the costs! Went with different sizes in the end but basically

Held the frame and rebate pieces together whilst cutting the lengths/mitres so it all matched up. Got a square piece of 6mm mdf to size ..tacked the rebate pieces on, dropped in the glass with glazier cork packers glued over the back for a cushion, then nailed the frame timbers on with panel pins. These remain visible but i spaced and centered them so it wouldnt look bad.

I didn't use any glue in the mitres, but for each one.. i clamped a timber across the front and back to flatten it.. tapped it around for best fit.. then drove a countersunk small screw in from the long end of the mirror. So, i had the mitres screwed in from top and buttom, but that wouldnt be seen as the thing was 1400 long. Tada! Looks lovely, is made to fit..and half the price a local mirrorman quoted me [quote was £80]..well chuffed :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back