How to make a template for routing (with guide bush)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping a friend with a fairly basic woodworking operation. I need to inset a round metal doorbell push button into a piece of wood and I'm going to use a plunge router with a straight bit and a guide bushing.

The problem is creating the template. The template needs to be 2.5 mm wider than the intended cut. How can I do this? It's made a bit more awkward by the doorbell not being perfectly round - I'd like the template (jig?) to match this imperfection so that the flaw isn't obvious after insetting it into its wooden panel.

Sponsored Links
can you not clamp the piece of wood and then carefully free hand the router then using a chisel pare off the excess?

In my experience these sort of jobs are better done by hand, marking out the recess from the item itself, unless you have multiples of the job to do. All making a jig does is takes time, and increases the possibility of error.
Do what gregers says. Freehand most of the waste with a router and clean up by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back