How do I widen a hole for kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new sink that my wife has chosen is about 1/2" longer and wider than the old sink. To get the drainage lined up & to fit within the units I need to take off about 1/4" all the way round. FYI It's a 38mm laminate top.
I've never done anything like this before so I'm guessing I make a template from plywood/MDF to cover the hole and to give support to a router.
If so, which blade is recommended?
If that's not the right way, then any advice on how I should do this would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I'd be worried a jigsaw would damage the laminate. Can I cut a neat edge with a Stanley knife (or something) or is there some trade-tip to prevent splintering, like ..... cover the edge with masking tape first?

Another thought: Seeing as it only needs 1/4" removing , can I use a surform to shave it down?

Sponsored Links
Hi Cleeve,
You can get jigsaw blades that cut on the downward stroke, sometimes called reverse cut, they reduce chipping, but you need to keep a firm hold on them as the saw can "bounce" if you loose concentration Bosch do a blade they say will cut from either side, numbered T101 BIF/AOF.
Only a 1/4" is a difficult amount to take off but with care and good sharp blades it can be done.

A router will give the best finish if you can cobble together some sort of guide,but with the worktop in-situ you may start hitting splashbacks or the router "rolling " over the very narrow front edge you will be left with.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back