how to make radiator work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we've just moved into a house and found that the radiators work in all rooms but the bedroom. have tried bleeding it, but it's full of water. not sure what else to try. the pipe running into it remains cold to touch whenthe heating's on. any tips or tricks would be gratefully received.

have uploaded photos of the pipe joins on both sides, shall attempt to include with this post :)

Sponsored Links
does it have a Thermostatic radiator valve on one side ? if it does best bet is its seized, if it does post a pic and I will tell you how to free it

Sponsored Links
Does the pipe leading up to the TRV get hot? The other valve with no cap on it is for balancing purposes.

so the valve with the big white dial/cap
on it is the trv? the pipe leading to this is also cold

Yes the valve with the dial on is the TRV. There may be a blockage then. Try turning all the other radiators off at the TRV to try and force the blockage free.

EASY TO FIX

Turn off all working rads
Non working rad will bubble and grugle then get hot
Bleed rad
Turn on all others

JOB DONE

I'm guessing the trv has been closed all summer and the pin in simply stuck in the off position. If you feel confident enough you can remove the trv head(no water will come out) and you will see a pin head. Usually a few taps on this and it will pop up! Refit TRV head!

will try suggestion of removing trv head 1st - any tips please how to do this? the make is Myson. many thanks for help on this :)

Is there a knurled nut under the TRV head? if so you remove the head by undoing that nut and see if the valve pin moves up and down with your thumb.

There will be a clip(chrome ring) just under the head which pulls down and the you can remove the head. The pins on these old TRV's are very prone to sticking.

i removed the head by easing down a metal ring around its base (you can see this in 1st pic). the revealed pin was only sticking up a few mm (pic 2). i lifted it further with pliers (pic 3). Unfortunately both the rad and pipe have remained cold after putting the heating back on.

should i now try turning the other rads off?

do i need to refit the cap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back