How To Power Kitchen Cooker Hood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get power to my cooker hood (Righ hand side of pic) and I wanted to know whether it would be possible to get power from the extractor fan switch on the left hand side of the pic (red circle)?

There was an extractor fan on the ceiling (next to the switch), however this was removed in the past but the power/wiring is still there in the ceiling

49xBo6s.jpg

Please note that originally the hood was receiving power from the cooker switch, however I was informed that I shouldn't do this due to safety

Sponsored Links
Please note that originally the hood was receiving power from the cooker switch, however I was informed that I shouldn't do this due to safety
I absolutely disagree and think it the best way as all cooking appliances are turned off at the same time in an emergency.

Apart from anyone's views it is competely acceptable as far as any regulations are concerned.

Leave it as it is.

I recently had an EICR undertaken and the electrician disconnected it 'due to safety'

He said something along the lines of the wires are too thin and the fuse is too low and that it could melt ...
I probably have to gather more info on what he said

Originally, the hood, hob and oven were all connected to one cooker switch.

All appliances switch on and off simultaneously from the same switch... Is this okay?

I recently had an EICR undertaken and the electrician disconnected it 'due to safety'
He said something along the lines of the wires are too thin and the fuse is too low and that it could melt ...
Well, it could have been insatalled wrongly. Too thin a cable could be a problem
If the fuse was too low it would have melted - that's what they do.

I probably have to gather more info on what he said
You may have misheard - but it could still be redone so that it is correct.

Originally, the hood, hob and oven were all connected to one cooker switch.
Good idea.

All appliances switch on and off simultaneously from the same switch... Is this okay?
Yes, of course.

Sponsored Links
Well, it could have been insatalled wrongly. Too thin a cable could be a problem
If the fuse was too low it would have melted - that's what they do.
Yes, this sounds like what he said.

I remember something along the lines of the wires being too thin and fuse being too low..

What fuse should be used? Should I use 1.5mm twin and earth

I remember him saying something that I would have to get power from the other side of the room (Left hand side of earlier pic - by the boiler) as the section by the hood has tiling underneath similar to the image below

Please note that my cooker switch is on the right hand side of the hob and it has tiling surrounding it.

extractor-hood-tiled-to-bottom-paint-above.jpg

Well if it was connected direct to the 32A / 45A circuit using 1mm flex or whatever then that wasn't a great idea.

But if you are able to fit a single socket high up for the hood to plug into
or hard wire into an FCU then its ok

I remember something along the lines of the wires being too thin and fuse being too low..
Is it Twin&Earth cable ? if it is, it won't be too small.
The fuse can't be too small - safety-wise; only to small for the hood to work, but that would be very small.

What fuse should be used? Should I use 1.5mm twin and earth
1mm² and 3A is usual. 5A would be ok, Too small doesn't matter; it just won't work.

I remember him saying something that I would have to get power from the other side of the room (Left hand side - by the boiler) as the section by the hood has tiling underneath..
Well, it may save spoiling the decor - but you need to determine if it needs replacing.

Pictures???

Thanks for the responses guys

My kitchens been recently refurbished so destroying tiles/decor is not really an option..

I believe that the hood was connected directly to the cooker socket because once the electrician saw this, he didn't like it and removed the wires immediately..

As mentioned, he suggested I get the right cable and feed this in the ceiling, to the boiler (which has been boxed in this image ie left hand side of the door) The FCU is the switch on the left hand side. He suggested the possible use of trunking.

There is also a socket under the wall unit on the left hand side (next to the sink drainer).

Is it possible to create a single switch (placed above the wall unit) without destroying the kitchen?

Last edited:
not likely though!

Yes you can fit a socket above the cupboards and connect in the ceiling to the light circuit (always live connection) or fan isolator or socket circuit etc.

Mine has been connected to the light circuit, which was a surprise

Given the set up of the kitchen

Assuming the hood was connected directly to the cooker switch using 1mm cable what would you suggest I do?

Also is it possible to take power from the extractor fan switch, which is fixed to the ceiling (see original pic). There is live wire, next to the switch.

The extractor fan was only removed due to the installation of the kitchen hood

not likely though!

Yes you can fit a socket above the cupboards and connect in the ceiling to the light circuit (always live connection) or fan isolator or socket circuit etc.

Mine has been connected to the light circuit, which was a surprise
Okay, just to clarify..

It is perfectly fine to connect the Kitchen Hood direct to the extractor fan isolator?

No additional socket is necessary... and no need to go to the FCU?

Apologies for the newby questions

But do I need 1mm or 1.5mm (two core + earth)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back