How to prepare concrete for laying floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm about to install some 6mm insulation and floorboards over a concrete floor. There are a very few high points in the concrete (20cms wide max) that need leveling down by a maximum of 1cm. What are the ideal tools and methods for doing this?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If the floor is out by 1 cm across an area of 20cms that is quite bad. It is possibly a job for a proffessional as floor grinding requires tools that are not available to hire as far as i am aware. Also that is quite a lot to be brought up with a leveling compound. The underlay that you are using will not take much of the uneveness (is that a word?)out . The surface to be laid on should be no more than 2mm out over a span of 1metre.

Hi and thanks for the replies. The problem I have is that my builder overcompensated when adding some levelling compound in a particular area. What I'd like to know is suggestions for removing some of this so that I can reapply properly. I was thinking of using an angle grinder to score lines and a masonry chisel to chip out the bits. I know it's a bit bish bosh but as it's such a small area I feel this is what it demands :D

Sponsored Links
I don't know how hard self-levelling compound is, but your angle-grinder (230 mm ?) idea should certainly work.

I uncovered some large rocks when laying my floor and needed to take about 30 mm off the top. I sliced a crossed pattern of grooves and then knocked the little squares out with my SDS and a chisel bit. Sheared reasonably cleanly.

Would guess you will kick up a lot of dust though. Need good ventilation and cover up/remove furniture

You haven't given any details of where this room is in the house or its purpose, so this is just a general comment.

A layer of 6 mm of insulation is so little, that although it should make a tiny amount of difference, you are not going to notice it.

If the high spots are latex and not sand/cement screed then your angle grinder should level small areas successfully. Try smoothing before removing. But I agree about the dust.

You haven't given any details of where this room is in the house or its purpose, so this is just a general comment.

A layer of 6 mm of insulation is so little, that although it should make a tiny amount of difference, you are not going to notice it.

It's going on the lower ground floor level of a maisonette. I can't afford to lay underfloor heating or lose any ceiling height so it's really just to help lay the boards and take a slight edge of the cold. I'm using Timbermate Excel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back