how to protect brick face

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a couple of brick pieces that have fallen off,on a outside wall, i want to protect it with some sort of paint or sealant any ideas?.
I have heard you can use pvc glue and water is this true.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Take a photo of the bricks and post it.

Spalled brickwork is not uncommon - Solutions to the problem may vary depending on the location and brick

Don't bother with watered down PVA adhesive. PVC glue would probably not mix with water and I think you have just got the "glue" type wrong.

We have a couple of brick pieces that have fallen off,on a outside wall, i want to protect it with some sort of paint or sealant any ideas?.

Please help
I live in Canada and I am not sure if you are talking about the same thing, here PVC stands for Polyvinyl chloride, the black pipe used for plumbing and if the U.K. uses the same adhesives to join it together it would be ABS cement that doesn't mix with water, if it did mix with water it would be useless for plumbing. Like to hear from you

Sponsored Links

Please help
It sounds like spalling. This is due to wet bricks being damaged by frost. The cause can be poor pointing, leaking gutters or simply an exposed location.

If it is just in a lower section of solid wall, you might have condensation problems (due to poor ventilation). Putting an impervious coat on the wall might trap condensation in the bricks and could make the problem worse.

If you mean PVA rather than PVC, this is water soluble and is likely to wash off fairly quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back