how to protect your home

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whistle

HOME SECURITY: New survey shows householders prepared to spend to secure their homes.

IN BRIEF: A new survey conducted by the Alliance & Leicester highlights the increasing potential of the domestic security market. It demonstrates householders have a growing appetite for sophisticated security measures including monitored security alarms and CCTV

Householders are prepared to spend considerable sums of money on security measures to protect their homes – up to as much as £8,500 per home – according to a new survey conducted by the Alliance & Leicester.
The report highlights the growing potential for monitored alarm systems at domestic premises. According to the survey, in order to feel safe, more than two out of three people said they would now consider investing in a monitored alarm system, capable of generating a police response.
Surprisingly, rather than being the view of more affluent homeowners, this finding represents the views of the average UK householder. The survey, conducted this October on behalf of the Alliance & Leicester by YouGov, is representative of the views of all UK adults.

The increased interest in monitored alarms by homeowners is likely to be due to the growing realisation that ‘bells-only’ alarms will not deliver police response, and also due to increasing levels of fear of crime (supported by the results of the latest Home Office Crime Statistics - see separate story elsewhere this issue).

Householders’ enthusiasm for home security measures does not stop with alarm systems, either, according to the Alliance & Leicester survey. Half of those surveyed (52%) would consider spending on a CCTV system that overlooks doors, windows and the property’s boundaries, while a similar number (53%) would invest in motion sensor security lights. One in three (32%) would like a private security firm to patrol their neighbourhood.

“Although CCTV and alarm systems may not stop a house being targeted, they both present a very visible deterrent, even to the most experienced and expert burglar,” he adds.

The YouGov survey polled the views of 1,972 adults. The figures were subsequently weighted to be representative of all Great Britain adults aged 18-plus.

Sponsored Links
Is it really worth it though? afaict the impact of having an alarm (even an insurance approved one) on insurance premiums is relatively small

If you were saving £100 a year on your insurance premiums then that £8000 alarm they mention is going to take 80 years to pay for itself (and that's not counting interest on the money or alarm monitoring costs).

The YouGov survey polled the views of 1,972 adults. The figures were subsequently weighted to be representative of all Great Britain adults aged 18-plus.

There are 61 million of us on these islands so I don't think asking less than 2,000 is "representative of all GB adults over 18".

It used to be beneficial, depending on your area, to have an alarm installed to reduce your insurance premium.

These days for domestic customers it makes little difference, if any with the majority of insurers.

A domestic alarm will be more for piece of mind.

Commercial properties are often required to have a graded alarm system installed to satisfy their insurance (not drop the premium, it is a condition of being insured).

Sponsored Links
Is it really worth it though? afaict the impact of having an alarm (even an insurance approved one) on insurance premiums is relatively small

If you were saving £100 a year on your insurance premiums then that £8000 alarm they mention is going to take 80 years to pay for itself (and that's not counting interest on the money or alarm monitoring costs).

The article didn't mention an £8000 alarm. It said security.

We must also avoiding blaming the installed system for the performance of the relevant Constabulary's.
If fat lazy dibble says he's busy, then so be it. Why would he differentiate between an Arc logging a call and a neighbour (or you because your system dialled you) saying they saw someone off on their toes with a swagbag from a house across the street.

We called the Police at 03:50, midlle of night when plod has his feet up. 5 minutes is all it took them to turn up. Did sod all when they arrived but eh, they turned up.
We reported a violent assault and mugging taking place one Saturday evening. "Sorry, all our officers are busy, We'll attend when we can". They later asked "you didn't happen to capture the incident on your CCTV did you?".

Some, maybe many neither trust, nor rely on the dibble. Fair enough. But who is capable of dealing with Billy Burglar when he's probably smacked up to the B*ll*x?
As for receiving a message on your mobile that your alarm has just triggered with a confirmed and your 20 mile away. what you gonna do? - probably jump in the car and drive like a lunatic to get back home....and get pulled for speeding by the Dibble lying in wait for you.

Ultimately, it is all about having the 'right' systems in place and not just the cheapest.

Noone actually spends money arbitarily on security.

They will buy security due to three reasons.

1. They are moving into a newbuild home which has no alarm and traditionaly their family has had alarms
2. They are moving into a resale home and its existing alarm doesn't work , has no codes , keeps false alarming when switched on.
3. They or someone they know has been burgled.

Noone buys an alarm just because they have seen one advertised or it was on special offer. There has to be an underlying need.

That need comes as above or because an Insurance company has insisted on an alarm as part of its policy cover.

Unfortunately dibble may not always be able to attend so wether a system is monitored or is simply an autodialler the responsibility will fall on either keyholders or someone who has been notified to check as necessary. In both cases we have joe public venturing into unknown territory.

As for £8500. That may be the case for the average householder it seems high to me (although I suspect most people don't realise just what expense they have commited to).
People in high crime areas will fit the security they can afford. Usually they will spend £200 on a door grille rather than £3k on a monitored alarm.
There is actually something else which came up when fitting alarms in high crime areas.
1. Noone trusts any of their neighbours to be keyholders
2. Noone wants the police turning up even if they have been burgled and many seeing a burglary wouldn't report it in case their neighbours found out they had snitched. (Most burglars in depressed areas are known to the local populace).
I guess this survey is all about encouraging people into believing everyone else is fitting security so they may as well join in. It would certainly help the insurance companies who must be paying out a fair bit right now. Certainly burglaries are on the up where I am.

At the very least an alarm is a visual deterent first and foremost and a device that will encourage thieves to leave the scene earlier if they do break in. The more noise the better which is why I don't go in for the strong silent type of alarm although it is recommended for homes within 10 minutes of a police station.
Strangely in Leeds the highest burglary areas are the ones immediately surrounding the police stations so somethin isnt working right there.

Can't say i hold with your assertions.
Thats fair comment as we deal with a different client base.
Some of the things I have learnt came as a shock to myself. Partcularly learning that in some areas if your alarm went off neighbours wouldn't call the police because they had say an untaxed car , or something indoors they shouldn't or the air smelt of weed..etc etc.
I often wondered why attack dogs were so popular in areas where there were a higher proportion of young children. Now I know why and to be honest if I lived in these areas I would probably have one myself.
Its rather startling when one comes at you round the corner of a home teeth bared.
I think rather than considering autodiallers as a poor mans monitored alarm they should be considered as a bonus to a 'Bells only' system. After all they cost but the same give or take £50 rather than the cost of a monitored alarm. That way you may view them as a benefit rather than a liability.

Some of the things I have learnt came as a shock to myself. Partcularly learning that in some areas if your alarm went off neighbours wouldn't call the police because they had say an untaxed car , or something indoors they shouldn't or the air smelt of weed..etc etc.
I often wondered why attack dogs were so popular in areas where there were a higher proportion of young children. Now I know why and to be honest if I lived in these areas I would probably have one myself.
Its rather startling when one comes at you round the corner of a home teeth bared.
I think rather than considering autodiallers as a poor mans monitored alarm they should be considered as a bonus to a 'Bells only' system. After all they cost but the same give or take £50 rather than the cost of a monitored alarm. That way you may view them as a benefit rather than a liability.

says your a "non trading individual" - is that why you dont know what your on about?

As commented previously regarding Harrogate.
Full of stuck up women and smackheads.

And the benefits are??

strong silent type of alarm although it is recommended for homes within 10 minutes of a police station.

source?

there isnt one - you made it up, and before you go off on one your the biggest spammer on the site.

Big words for someone who so far has only managed to post something copied off of another site.

Is whistle just a troll or someone hawking for business?

Big words for someone who so far has only managed to post something copied off of another site.

Is whistle just a troll or someone hawking for business?

He has a great marketing strategy though.
Lies, deceit, misinformation

Step too far along with charlatan etc
I have already requested your identity from the website which has not being forthcoming so far. I will get my solicitor to request it.
Time to step up to the plate.
You can forward your details to me personally if you wish as I intend to sue you for libel.
If you don't give me your details it will show you are all mouth.
If you do give me your details I will sue.
I have saved all the pages from threads where you have accused me of dishonesty or malpractice.
Everything I write is in good faith but your twisted personal animosity has gone too far.

strong silent type of alarm although it is recommended for homes within 10 minutes of a police station.
source?
there isnt one - you made it up

I can't remember the source but I do remember reading it somewhere possibly from an alarm companies website. No it wasn't made up I definately read somewhere the above recommendation.

Ah found it..
You need to learn your stuff...
Police forces have the right to insist on a siren delay for operational purposes.

10. All commercial and domestic properties are permitted to have instant bells subject to customer/system requirements. This must be clearly stated at time of application on the Appendix F. West Yorkshire Police however, reserve the right to
insist on a bell delay for certain operational requirements.

tsk tsk

40 years ago maybe, today all calls to the police go to their main control room, usually at the county HQ, they are then dealt with by radio to the 'area' car/s.

Police station 10min away, so?, more than likely it's not manned 24hr, or even daily, cost savings you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back