How to put ne lintil in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi I want to put in a new lintil above the door so I can change the frame of the door. But as you can see it looks like the current door frame supports the brick work above it. How can I put a lintil in without all the brick work collapsing?

Sponsored Links
You support the wall above first, then remove the wooden frame, then fit the new lintel in, then remove the support.

Click here and browse through the pictures to see how it's done.

Thanks. Can you buy the top of the accrue support separately? I have 1 support I can use in the garage but need the top attachment. Do you think 1 suport would be ok or would I need 2 or 3? Can you hire them? Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Whack 2 strongboys through the top mortar beds of the brick course above the existing frame.

Hire them - no need to buy. Prop them with acros, ensure the floor is sound where the acros are seated and that the acros are tight.

Remove frame. Insert/bed lintel (min 100mm end bearings) and pack tight up to the masonry above with mortar/slate offcuts. Leave to bake at 200°c for 24hrs and release acros/remove strongboys. Point up remaining voids.

If you fit each lintel individually from each side then you are unlikely to experience any bricks dropping particularly as there is a header course a few bricks up from the opening.

It does not hurt to prop but we would just plow on and deal with any collateral as it came.

Those headers are your trump card.

Hi what do you mean Barings? Also what do you mean bake at 200 degrees? Thanks for the answers

God hotrod don't make it any more painful than it already is :confused: ; I'd go with noseall no prop; unlikely to be any probs unless the brickwork is total shot.

If you fit each lintel individually from each side then you are unlikely to experience any bricks dropping particularly as there is a header course a few bricks up from the opening.

Aye, well spotted noseall. I didn't spot them - I had it down for a single skin wall.

Hi what do you mean Barings? Also what do you mean bake at 200 degrees?

I mean the lintel should be at least 100mm longer than the opening on each side, i.e. it should have at least a 100mm 'seating' on the brickwork at either side. The reference to 'bake at 200' was just me being daft. You just need to wait for the mortar to set.

If you fit The reference to 'bake at 200' was just me being daft. You just need to wait for the mortar to set.
Wish you had said this yesterday. I've had a Catnic in the Aga all night.
Ohh please stop
Mutley_laughing.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back