How to refpressurise a Worcester 24i Jr (FAQ no go)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Attempting to get my Worcester 24i Jr repressurised is driving me mad. Please PLEASE help!

So the story goes as so, our W 24i Jr boiler water pressure has dropped down to ~0.5 bar, I dug out the manual that was given to us when we moved in but it doesn't mention repressurising the bioler anywhere... great.

Our last few places have just had a valve/tap to let water into the system, so I checked around the boiler (even removed the panneling that was covering the pipework) and nothing... hmmm

So I search round the web and find mention of needing a key to repressurise the system, I find the place where a key should be (on the plastic pannel under the boiler)... no key... grrrrrr

So I order a key from the web, it arives, I find this lovely forums guide on where to put the key and how to fill the system, I look under the boiler and... as far as I can tell there is no filling loop, nowhere to put the key, and nothing that resembles the picture of the filling loop in the guide...arghhhhh

So now i'm sat here with a key and no where to put it, a boiler still at 0.5 bar, and i'm at a loss at just how i'm meant to get the thing repressurised short of getting a plumber out to come take a look at it :confused:

So before I resort to getting a pro out, is there anything I can do? anyone ever seen one of these boilers not have a loop installed? why would someone do that!!!

Bah.

All help greatly welcomed!

Sponsored Links
Hi Rico,

Thanks for that.

Problem is my boiler doesn't have that attached to it!

Will I have to find somewhere to buy one from before I can do anything else?

Hi there,

Are you in now.

Could you post a pic of the underside of the boiler.

Rico

Sponsored Links
have you checked lower down the pipework for a filling loop maybe a cupboard under the boiler.

Hi there,

Are you in now.

Could you post a pic of the underside of the boiler.

Rico

Here we go, couple of pics, excuse the crappy phone camera quality:

boiler_all.jpg

boiler_right.jpg

As you can see there is nothing to put the key in :!:

have you checked lower down the pipework for a filling loop maybe a cupboard under the boiler.

All the pipework goes down behind some wood panneling, i've taken that off in the past to check for a refill loop but didn't spot anything, i'm going to remove it again today and do a double check.

But if there is nothing there what options do I have?

Keep looking, it'll be there somewhere! The Worcs one isn't expensive and quite easy to fit so might be easier in future

the filling loop key assembly is an optional extra & has not been fitted in your case.

so you will have a standard filling loop somewhere.

i have never seen one not fitted but i suppose its possible.

I have this boiler, installed 2004.
After bleeding the rads yesterday, the system closed down today.
Red light flashing once a second.
Pressure gauge showing .5 bar
No chance of getting a plumber today, being so close to christmas, so investigated myself.
checked manual and worked out it needs topping up.
but no loop and tap, so I browsed here and eventually found enough pointers for the the answer.
Thank you people.
And so here is the final solution - hopes it helps someone in the future.

The key is in the bottom panel, as others have said.
as you look under the boiler there is a black plastic box affair, with a small white knob and a hole next to it. the key pushes up into that hole. When it is in far enough in it will lock (like a light bulb bayonet) and you can feel it grip to turn it a quarter turn. Then you turn the white knob a little and can hear the water flowing in. Watch the gauge, and when it is slightly over 1 bar, turn off the white knob, then turn the key back the quarter turn. Put key back in the holder panel, and fire it up. Presto - hot water.
Tip - I found when I turned the white knob without the key, water squirts out of it; this means you have not turned the key properly! turning the key seems to redirect the water into the system instead of out onto the floor, or something like that.
Now with hot water again, I have to go and wash up!

The two brass bits of the right show a sort of screw visible, this is where the filling loop would go, so it is not there.
There must be a filling option somewhere, otherwise the boiler would never have worked.
Follow the right hand pipe from the boiler and you should find the filling loop.
If installed by cowboy, it could be that you have to follow the big pipe on the outer lefthand side.

Take a look under your kitchen sink........We got housing estates up here in Botswana ( Cumbria) that have em fitted under there... clear out your undersink cupboard and send us a pic plz!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back