How to remove a floorboard under a doorframe

you could finish it with skirting or similar. you may find it hard to get anything else with an ornamental moulding. You can do most of the painting before you fix it.

Are you using ply for the floor? I'd lean towards adding mineral wool in the floor void and the wall studs to muffle noise a bit. and two layers of plasterboard on the wall. Do all the wiring you can think of before closing up.

Sponsored Links
you could finish it with skirting or similar. you may find it hard to get anything else with an ornamental moulding. You can do most of the painting before you fix it.

Are you using ply for the floor? I'd lean towards adding mineral wool in the floor void and the wall studs to muffle noise a bit. and two layers of plasterboard on the wall. Do all the wiring you can think of before closing up.
Thanks, JohnD. Do you have a pic that shows the solution you're suggesting?

Yes, I plan to use mineral wool but ply wasn't in my plans. What would be the benefit of laying ply under the boards? the downside is restricted access to the heating pipes if I ever need to change something or repair a leak. It is just the two of us living here so noise isn't a problem for us

I meant, ply as flooring, rather than under boards. You will need struts ("noggins") under any unsupported joins

If you use screws, you will be able to lift it in sections non-destructively by lifting the stairwell side first and pulling it from under the wall skirtting.

here's an example of mineral wool as noise and heat insulation. It blocks draughts very well as it stuffs into irregular gaps without precise cutting. Cables can be on top or underneath, but not surrounded.

20180108_172001.jpg

20180116_163547.jpg

You can stain and varnish it if you want. The planking effect you see is fake, done with different shades of wood dye applied by brush. In my case the pieces were arranged with whole boards in the centre of the room, and cut pieces round the edges, where cables and pipes run, and can be unscrewed and lifted.

Sponsored Links
I use reclaimed floorboards because I like the way they look. Your ply flooring look very good but that isn't my thing

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back