how to remove a Potterton PRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I have a Performa 24 combi. I need to replace the PRV as it is leaking thru the external discharge pipe. I've bought the new part, but i'm not really sure what to unscrew in order to remove the old one. I've attached pics, one of the new part and one of the old. In the current assembly, it looks like there are two 'screws' underneath the PRV - one small to the PRV and a bigger one to the pipe below. Which one should i unscrew? Or should i unscrew both? If so, in which order? Probably silly questions, but i don't want to mess this up lol.

Thanks for any advice.

View media item 40690 View media item 40691

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ok, so i've emptied boiler, removed nut (figured grub screw will be easier to remove once i've got the PRV out). Am i right in thinking i need to unscrew a (tiny) allen key bolt, before i can pull out the PRV? If so it's bloody difficult to get to!

Thanks again

That IS the grubscrew and you will have to loosen or take it right out or the prv wont budge. It holds it in position. Easy enough to get it there with a small allen key. If its corroded in, you'll have to drill it out - thats when the fun begins. ;)

That IS the grubscrew and you will have to loosen or take it right out or the prv wont budge. It holds it in position. Easy enough to get it there with a small allen key. If its corroded in, you'll have to drill it out - thats when the fun begins. ;)

ok, thanks. the PRV is completely out :) So now i just have to remove the nut under the PRV (in order to reuse it with the new PRV)...
I'm getting there ;)

Did you check and repressurise the expansion vessel while it was drained? That will be the cause of the PRV leaking in the first place.

Did you check and repressurise the expansion vessel while it was drained? That will be the cause of the PRV leaking in the first place.

No. The whole problem started after i had it serviced. Previously pressure had always been on the high side, i.e. over 3 bar! The guy tested everything (inc. expansion vessel) and concluded all was ok, but, after manually operating the PRV, it didn't re-seat properly and he suggested i change it.

hi, just wondering if there was a reason the pressure was over 3 bar? did you over pressurise? cos normally if pressure is over 3bar then the prv would activate and press should drop down, so my querie revloves around what is causing your pressure to stay over 3bar? sounds like something passing into heating to keep press up!

hi, just wondering if there was a reason the pressure was over 3 bar? did you over pressurise? cos normally if pressure is over 3bar then the prv would activate and press should drop down, so my querie revloves around what is causing your pressure to stay over 3bar? sounds like something passing into heating to keep press up!

Yeh, that is a good question. I did possibly overpressurise about a yr ago (when i had no clue about this stuff and perhaps overfilled). The guy who did the servicing couldn't seem to find any problem. I think he suspected the expansion vessel, but, as i said, testing concluded it was ok. My assumption therefore is that only the PRV was faulty, as, firstly, it did not activate at 3 bar and, secondly, it leaked after manual operation. Does that sound plausible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back