How to remove and replumb sink trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure on our hall sink is way too powerful and inevitably causes a mess everywhere.

A friendly plumber advised to adjust the 'screws' on the inlet pipes. Whereas I did the hot one in 10 seconds, as I have clear access to it, the cold one is hidden behind the trap. Several mins of fumbling have not succeeded - I think I'll just have to remove the trap and reconnect it. I am a total novice and have no idea how.

Judging from the attached photo, can anyone offer clear advice how best to go about it. I imagine it's quite basic...but like I said, i'm a total novice... Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if you take the trap off (white part) have you any play in the grey pipe on the other side of the wall ? where ever that go's.

cutting that grey pipe will make the job a pain in the ar*e as its solvent weld and you have no room to refit a connector etc.

or look behind the waste trap he has used a brass connector to join the 2 flexis.
remove that connector and fit another isolation valve and you can adjust that one instead.
800px-Compression_fitting_isolating.jpg

Hi

Unscrew the top white nut then unscrew back white nut. Take the trap out. I don't think you can access valve with that grey pipe in way. Try using a food knife wide enough to fit slot on valve at a angle to turn it.

Dan

Try what Danny said, or what I tell my customers is that a teaspoon on its side will fit.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Once the white bit is removed, depending on what's on the other end of the grey bit, out of sight, it might be possible to swing it downwards exposing the isolator. If you can do that and you feel confident, loosen the nuts each side of the isolator and twist it 45 degrees to give easy access to the screw in the future.

Whoever installed that lot must have been in a hurry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back