How to repair duff Air release valve? Drain or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please?

The COMAP air release valve in the photo has been leaking from the top. It used to hiss from time to time but no more. Can it be serviced or replaced without partially draining the system if I shut that gate valve on the cylinder outflow pipe and set the system so the motorised valve is in Radiators Only mode? Or is there a better course of action?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
no, it means block the cold feed and the open vent with rubber bungs..
doing this will create a air lock and only allow a small amount of water out, id still shut the gate valve on the return from the cylinder tho

BUt turning the cylinder valve off and the zone valve to heating and killing power will also work(provided valve is closing ok.
I would try that first and if it doesnt work then bung it.

Personally I would go with first option and then snatch it! :LOL:

no, it means block the cold feed and the open vent with rubber bungs..
doing this will create a air lock and only allow a small amount of water out, id still shut the gate valve on the return from the cylinder tho
Provided you open the drain first to remove some water creating the vacuum!
Then close drain before you attempt to change AAV

I trhink the Comap AAV has a Quick release fitting that shuts off the water as the valve is removed, (make sure you leave the Hexagon part in the pipe) use a spanner to hold it back, whilst unwinding the AAV body with a pair of pump pliers, fingerscroosed the fitting will seal, but as been said with the return valve shut and the mid pos on CH only you should be ok :LOL:

I trhink the Comap AAV has a Quick release fitting that shuts off the water as the valve is removed, (make sure you leave the Hexagon part in the pipe) use a spanner to hold it back, whilst unwinding the AAV body with a pair of pump pliers, fingerscroosed the fitting will seal, but as been said with the return valve shut and the mid pos on CH only you should be ok :LOL:

Is this the type you're thinking of? Does the circular 'lid' come off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back