How to repair this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

As a result of some new boiler pipes being fitted through the ceiling it caused some of the paint to crack. I have scraped away the loose and flaking paint and now I need to repair it.

20012010.jpg

20012010001.jpg

What is the best way of doing it? I'm not sure whether to fill it, caulk it, sand it??? Although it does look a bit too wide to caulk.

Your help would be appreciated .

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
It looks a little like the old plaster wasn't sealed very well round the edges before it was painted. I'd scrap and sand off any loose old paint then seal with a pva/water mix, and then repaint.

Gobz

A pva/water mix !!??

Would watering down normal emulsion (mist coat) not do the job ?

Surely the pva route would stop the emulsion soaking into the plaster and allow it to peel away again ?

Guys ?

Stoyer

Don't use PVA on a surface that you intend to paint.

Sponsored Links
Once you have all the loose/flaky paint removed,, flush over the area with a couple of "thin" coats of ready mix joint finish, (much better than caulk). Put one "thin" coat on, say today, let it dry overnight,,, then put another "thin" coat on tomorrow, sand it down when dry, then paint it. Feather it well at the edges where it meets the paint,,, you'll never know it's been patched.

Roughcaster.

Err Ive used pva mix plenty of times to seal plaster with no problems, In fact I've just plastered a 6m x 3m room done this and decorated and guess what, a month later no problems.

Perhaps your mixing the pva a little thick, its no different to watered down emulsion.

Also in this case if the plaster wasn't sealed correctly in the first place splashing watered down emulsion over it could worsen the problem causing more paint to bubble and peel away.

Gobz

I agree with roughcaster, ready mix joint cement, pick it up from any DIY store, i`ve used it to hide a multitude of sins in my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back