How to seal roof tiles??!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tiled roof is 80 years old, has been surveyed twice and they say its got lots of life left in it... However, the backpointing (or sometimes called tiering) has all dissappeared now, so when it rains its OK, but when its windy and raining, some water is being blown inside onto the joists, purlins, etc. This has been going on for years I guess...

I am thinking of sealing the gaps between the tiles from the inside (the loft space) with some kind of sealnt/adhesive. Does anyone know a good sealant for this purpose? I'll still be leaving ventilation gaps, but I've got to do something..Any ideas? I believe spraybond is a big NO NO.

Sponsored Links
hazey7 said:
I am thinking of sealing the gaps between the tiles from the inside (the loft space) with some kind of sealnt/adhesive.
Not really a good idea because you can only seal it to the roof rafters so the top of the rafter will be wet as well which you cannot get to. You don't say what type of roof tiles, 80 years old is good so I would say you need new tiles or if they are still in good condition then removed tiles then use roofing felts underneath but having said that the rain shouldn't be blown in by the wind. It could be the overlap of the tiles is wrong.
hazey7 said:
I believe spraybond is a big NO NO.
correct it doesn't stop the wet on top of the rafter as above.

Thanks for your reply, the tiles are flat, basically the tiles are just slightly 'not sitting as flat as thay were'. They have nibs hooked over battens. The tiles sit on top of each other, its where the tiles actually sit on each other that I was thinking of sealing.

The tiles only leak when its windy, we live on the seafront so when its windy...it really is windy...

Yes really the whole lot needs replacing and roof felt adding but its a big house, roofer quotes £14K, as tiles are only 6" wide, theres a lot of tiles....

Sponsored Links
Is it like this one ? size 9"x6"
37.jpg

If so, the life of these tiles back then is approximately 70 years then they start to bend.

You be better off using something like Ludlow Plus tiles in which I have as the same as you near the seafront and they are Interlocking Tiles which is ideal for high wind.
25.jpg

Expanding foam or sand/cement will give you a temporary repairs and even that won't be easy unless you're working on the top of the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back