How to set out posts for decking (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am after some advice please. I am fairly new to DIY and looking to build some decking 3.6m x 3.3m

In this picture I’ve marked out roughly where the corner posts are going, and just learning the 3/4/5 method to get a 90 degree corner.

Once I’ve put the first post in (back left in picture), what is the best way of making sure the back right post is straight with this? Am I right to assume that if the string line is flush with the face of the post this is in the right place?

Many thanks for any help, Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Bare in mind the garden fence may or may not be square? I would take most of the measurements off the fence lines. The decking doesn't have to be perfectly square, so long as it all looks fine when you're done....

Great thanks, that did cross my mind.

Will the string line naturally do its job of levelling the fence posts up in a straight line I assume, providing I fit the post flush against it?

I’m finding it tricky to get the four corner stakes bang on 90 degrees with string line. They are slighty off by a few mm. Am I being too picky?

If I were to fix a fence post square in the corner, would I be able to level the next post in with string line off that, and then do the same for the next two posts?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can buy a small spirit level that'll slide atop the string to let you know how level the ground is.
Do you plan to put the end of the decking before it hits the tree? You're peg looks awfully close to it.

Great, I will look in to that! Yep, the end of the decking will be in front of that tree by about 15cm. We did consider removing the tree but decided not to in the end

If you wanted a larger decking area you can always cut around the tree; leaving a big gap to allow rainfall, then levelled up to the deck with soil, covered with membrane and rocks/pebbles. I like to do that in some designs for planting on a larger decking area. Otherwise you're left with a lot of garden covered where nothing can grow....unless you plant out in pots.

That is a great idea, although I think that will be beyond my expertise at the moment

I’ve just put a couple of deck posts in, one is very slightly off square (must have gone wrong with the string line somewhere).

Will this affect the joist connecting on to the face of the post at both ends?

Many thanks

7BC44D13-A650-4D1D-80A5-278499DB0E06.jpeg

Can you not move it level with the wall?

It isn't too hard to cut a curve into decking with a jigsaw and a steady hand. Make sure your fulcrum is in the right spot then all you need is a piece of string and a pencil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back