How to solder this pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D I was doing some work on a radiator, behind the rad the plaster had crumbled away and the brackets had come loose to the point the rad was unstable.

Now the radiator is securely in place but I had to firmly push the copper pipe over to the rad in order to fit and thus the copper joint from which the copper pipe leads up to th radiator has started to drip (maybe a couple of times every hour) For me to replace that joint would be a nightmare so am asking if soldering over it would right it.

Obviously I cannot get into the joint to apply flux but could spred some over the leak before soldering.

Currently I have the central heating system drained before doing the work.

Sponsored Links
I think that without a photo I will not be able to visualise what kind of joint you have leaking.

Tony

soldering-copper-pipe-joint.jpg

It seems to be all copper tee (the pipes and joints) like the one pictured, the joint has 2 pipes leading away horizontally and the middle one does too but only for about an inch and then it's been bent up for another 4 inch and leads to the radiator/stop valve.

It has been soldered when the heating was first put in many year ago.

you will have to drain the system and get ALL the water out to resolder it.

Sponsored Links
If you ask me someone wo has said what you have said so far OP and the question you have asked, the only answer can be get a professional.

Don't forget that water runs. Are you sure it's not leaking from the valve nut and running to the joint.

So many times I have assumed a leak is somewhere and found that the water is following a little stream from somewhere else.

It is unusual for soldered joints to leak.

Don't forget that water runs. Are you sure it's not leaking from the valve nut and running to the joint.

So many times I have assumed a leak is somewhere and found that the water is following a little stream from somewhere else.

It is unusual for soldered joints to leak.

top piece of advice that :)

If it really were a leaking soldered joint then the professional solution would be to drain the system, cut the pipe about 30 mm on each side of the "tee" and replace with a new "tee" and short lengts of tube joined with couplers.

Tony

Another thing to consider is that leaking soldered joints invariably were not soldered correctly in the first place.

And as a result of that they are usually badly corroded and impossible to repair without taking them apart so its quickest and best to start afresh.

Tony

Experience has taught me the same. Further more the leaking fitting may likely be blemished from new, and the reason for failure would remain were it to be-resoldered.

:D thanks for the input, I had a go myself this morning and the result is a good one and cost me £18.

Saved about £30 (hiring a plumber)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back