How to solder this pipe?

:D Well the plumbers round my area charge £40 labour for 20 mins work.
No they don't. They charge 40 quid for:
The time it takes to get there.
The time to do the job.
Small materials. ( a roll of solder is about £15 these days, and a tub of flux the best part of a tenner)
Overheads like commercial transport, insurance, tools, compulsory membership of bodies like GSR, reservations for tax, holidays and sickdays and a number of other things.
Finally, included in that is the guarantee that the job is done properly, and IF it would fail, the damage won't cost you anything.

Compare to your own situation; the money you cost your boss is a lot more than what comes into your bank account at the end of the month.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that the OP is from Yorkshire. They're not known for throwing their 'brass' around up there!

Indeed, op, you've had several replies from various pros, who'se combined reading and typing time is over 20 mins. Do you intend to recompense them? :eek:

The way you've left it has made it possibly less likely that any of them will want to assist you in future. :rolleyes:

^^^ Well :D it would'nt be in the intrest of a pro on here to give assistance

or to recomend DIY as it would take business away from them that's why a

lot try and put the fear of god into you over straight forward DIY jobs.

Sponsored Links
^^^ Well :D it would'nt be in the intrest of a pro on here to give assistance

or to recomend DIY as it would take business away from them that's why a

lot try and put the fear of god into you over straight forward DIY jobs.
Funnily enough, I have been on this site for a few months now and I have rarely seen anyone try to put the fear of god in anyone. Where the situation has transpired that the problem is potentially unsafe or illegal, such as some gas or electrical work, the impression I've got is that the pros on here tend to be very strong in their beliefs that the work should be carried out safely, in the interest of the ops concerned. In addition, there are times when the op is clearly completely out of his or her depth, and attempts to complete a diy repair is more than likely to lead to further problems and expense. Thus, directing towards professional involvement is urged. The majority of people on here are pros in their field, and they know stuff that you or I quite simply don't, and what you consider to be a simple diy job may well not actually be the case.

So, by and large, I disagree with your appraisal of the contrubutors' motives; and I feel that your comments now are akin to biting the hand that has fed you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back