How to stop the leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new waste to my bathroom sink back October time last year. Since then, I have had some Amtico floor laid in the bathroom. Plywood is fitted first, then the Amtico fitted on the ply. I now have a problem, that the waste is leaking and I cannot remove the pedestal to get to the waste to tighten the plastic nut. Will I have to remove the sink, tighten the nut then re-fit, or is there any tricks of the trade, special tools etc which may help?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Chances are, tightening the nut will make no difference, as it'll probably be leaking here:
Leakywaste1CR.gif

Sponsored Links
Can anyone decipher ChrisR's diagram?

Yes. Its a section through half of the waste fitting. Hold a mirror to the right of it to see a full fitting!

Outlined white areas are waste fitting nuts and trap [brass and plastic bits]
Dotted outlined blue area = overflow hole in waste fitting
Solid black = rubber washers
Diagonals = large washer.
Gray patch = the porcelain of your hand basin
Blue = Water, showing where it can get to in your basin.

The blue near the h in ChrisR is where water can leak through the thread if you dont seal the thread with a suitable jointing substance eg silicone. Its also the point he refers to when he says :-
Chances are, tightening the nut will make no difference, as it'll probably be leaking here:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back