How to tell when wire needs replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to move in with a buddy, his house was buit in the 50s and needs some work which makes me happy.

I'm not sure how old the wiring in the house is, I look in the basement I see some new wire and some old that doesnt look too hot, I think it's got about half new wiring. I would like to complete the job, this is a very cool house and I love handy work, I also have an electrician friend that will give me advice n such, ive delt with some wiring before but never to the extent that is needed in this house. It does have a breaker box, no fuses, so there have been some upgrades along the way.

The back room's outlets have only 2 prongs, I would like to convert these to 3 prong, what would that involve? Would I have to run a 3 wire setup?

I'm in the US, the UK forum gets more action and I'm sure you can help.

Thanks in advance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I'm in the US, the UK forum gets more action and I'm sure you can help."

That's because this is a UK website. So you have posted in the wrong place.

I doubt it will help if we use our skill and experience to explain how to recognise UK wiring standards and colours (which are different to yours) or the regulations that apply (which are different to yours) or how to recognise the age of accessories (which are different to yours), how our domestic circuits have been designed since the 1960's (which is different to yours) or why our plugs, sockets and cables are all 2+e (which is different to yours).

I am moving your post to Electrics outside UK.

You may do better to find a US forum.

Mod Rupert

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
Back