How to tighten a plastic joint???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my central heating fitted over a year ago. They fitted plastic piping and jointing in the loft, which I wasn't sure about but they said it's stronger and more frost resistant than traditional copper.(Piping had to go in loft due to bugalow with concrete floors)

Anyway, now one of these joints is leaking, and unlike compression joints on copper piping I've no idea how to stop it. I have tried tightening by hand but to no avail. Any suggestions please????

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the joys of the pushfit connector!
Can you see a make on it, or describe it if it's distinctive?
Hepworth (grey)
Polypipe (grey)
Speedfit (white)
etc

Welcome to the joys of the pushfit connector!
Can you see a make on it, or describe it if it's distinctive?
Hepworth (grey)
Polypipe (grey)
Speedfit (white)
etc

Hi Chris, cheers for the response

The pipes are grey with Hep2o written on them.
The Joints are white, can't see any writing except maybe a sp on top can't quite see?

Probably Speedfit then.

With any pushfit joint, make sure the pipe is pushed fully into the fitting, HARD.
With these, WITHOUT pushing against the collar at the outer end of the fitting, try to pull the pipe out of the joint. It should just grip tighter.

If the pipe still leaks, you'll have to replace the fitting.
Assuming it's Older style Speedfit, if you push the collar towards the fitting and hold it, you can pull the pipes out.
With newer type, you have to unscrew the cap (inch or so long) a turn or so before you can push in the collar to pull the pipe out.

Sponsored Links
Probably Speedfit then.

With any pushfit joint, make sure the pipe is pushed fully into the fitting, HARD.
With these, WITHOUT pushing against the collar at the outer end of the fitting, try to pull the pipe out of the joint. It should just grip tighter.

If the pipe still leaks, you'll have to replace the fitting.
Assuming it's Older style Speedfit, if you push the collar towards the fitting and hold it, you can pull the pipes out.
With newer type, you have to unscrew the cap (inch or so long) a turn or so before you can push in the collar to pull the pipe out.

Thanks for the advice ChrisR.....it's back into the loft to give that a try.
Can I just ask, is it the norm to use plastic piping in CH systems? Is it just as good as traditional copper?

The plumbers that use it would have you believe so ;)

I personally will only use it as a last resort!!

Why didn`t they use Hep2 o grey fittings :confused: were they Corgi registered :?:

Got to admit that I do like speed fit for my plumbing work but the fittings can be a little bulky when you are in a tight spot.. I always put my joints where they can be accessed easily and I have very few problems indeed.

I never mix and match fittings (Speedfit fittings with speedfit pipe) and ALWAYS remember to fit an insert into the plastic pipe before fitting an elbow or tee and although it does sound gross, always lick the insert or give it a spray with silicone spray so that the "o"rings don't drag.. Properly done plastic is very good.. badly done and it is a pain

Its a possibility that your leaking joint has has NO pipe insert fitted.

Thermal cycling will cause it to leak later.

Most professionals prefer copper for heating systems. I dont consider plastic has adequate fault performance for sealed systems.

Its a mith that its cheaper that copper. Most systems would actually cost more. Its far quicker to fit though.

I go to far more leaking plastic joints than copper.

Tony

Nige F wrote:
Why didn`t they use Hep2 o grey fittings were they Corgi registered

They where corgi registered......why is what they did a big no-no?

No Speedfit is spec'd for use with copper and both types of plastic pipe, for HW and CH where more than 1m from the boiler. There's no advantage usng Hep fittings with Hep pipe.
Apart from assembling the joint incorrectly, most leaks seem to appear where there's sideways (angular) strain on the joint.

I have been using a little 22 mm plastic pipe recently supplied for Tectite. Seems rather higher spec and stronger or less floppy.

It came in rolls with a diameter of about 700mm.

When taken off the roll it still retains a very strong curve.

Does the curve try to straighten out with time???

Its quite difficult getting it to be straight enough to go into a fitting.

What do regular users do about that???

Tony

Welcome to the world of plastic pipe Tony, if you can get it straight let everyone know.

Pssst I got it up to 110c and it got very straight and floppy.

To the OP if they have used grey hep pipe with speedfit fitting then you have a problem because they shouldn't be mixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back