How to use an orbital sander!

Not true if orbital sanders , there is no duress if you hold correctly .

I probably spend in excess of 800 hours per year using both orbital and random orbital sanders.

If you start an orbital sander whilst in contact with a surface it will jolt. That might not be a problem if the paper is very fine, but it should be avoided. You increase the risk of scoring and put the motor under greater pressure.

Sponsored Links
Mesh discs like abranet are fine on flat surfaces but avoid using them on edges or they rip

True, howerever, the Abranet Ace is more durable.

I probably spend in excess of 800 hours per year using both orbital and random orbital sanders.

If you start an orbital sander whilst in contact with a surface it will jolt. That might not be a problem if the paper is very fine, but it should be avoided. You increase the risk of scoring and put the motor under greater pressure.
You must be holding it incorrectly .

You must be holding it incorrectly .

Go on then.. find me a link that says that sanders should be started when in contact with the surface to be sanded.

I often agree with much of your advice but on this occasion you have someone that owns thousands of pounds worth of sanders and uses them professionally on a daily basis, nevertheless, you think that someone that spends 800 hours using mechanical sanders is less qualified than you to suggest the correct way to use them...

Sponsored Links
Go on then.. find me a link that says that sanders should be started when in contact with the surface to be sanded.

I often agree with much of your advice but on this occasion you have someone that owns thousands of pounds worth of sanders and uses them professionally on a daily basis, nevertheless, you think that someone that spends 800 hours using mechanical sanders is less qualified than you to suggest the correct way to use them...
Qualified people still get things wrong . Maybe you have trouble accepting people may have apposing views.
Here is a woodworking site .

Last edited:
I'm not normally one for rules, and have never had any formal orbital or any sander training, but perhaps more out of practicality than anything, I've mostly (can't actually confirm 100%) started the sander on the timber to avoid the jolt and then the grab. Two hands, hold, switch on.

Qualified people still get things wrong . Maybe you have trouble accepting people may have apposing views.
Here is a woodworking site .

Ok, fair play.

It seems that many people start the sander on the surface. Part of the rationale seems to be that any gouging will be sanded away regardless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back