How well / detailed should MCBs be marked regarding the circuits they protect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In a new build flat we have just purchased there is a spilt CU with two RCDs each with their own MCBs

One both sides (ie both RCDs) there are MCBs marked as Lights, and Sockets

Should the marking not identify which circuits are covered (ie which rooms) or is this lack of detail OK to current regs

Regards

Chris

Sponsored Links
Obviously the labels should state which circuits are protected by the MCB.

However, rarely does it state more than "upstairs lights", "downstairs lights" etc.

Feel free to determine more accurately and record if you wish.

Surely not the end of the world.

Switch lights on, flick one of the MCB's and see what lights go out.
Switch back on and do same with other MCB and see what lights go out. (Don't forget to try and check outside security lights when you switch them back on. Have someone outside to see which MCB makes them come on when it is reset).
Do the same with the sockets. Plug a lamp or something in to one of the downstairs sockets, flick the MCB. If it goes out then, Bingo, you got it first time. If it didn't, turn MCB back on and try the other MCB. Then, (when the light has gone out), go round each socket on that floor checking all the other sockets.
Repeat for other floor.
Sometimes you may find a hall light upstairs in on the ground floor circuit. This is a safety feature and nothing needs doing.
You may also find 1 socket is controlled in a similar way.

Sponsored Links
Is there any requirement at all for the circuits to be labelled by the installer? My mum had her house refurbished and the new consumer unit had no labels in it whatsoever.

There is a difference between "should" and "must".

IMO there should be adequate information that a user can interpret what they protect.
Perhaps an extra list/drawing to identify specifics.

What there must be is another matter, just like what you actually get.

"Except where there is no possibility of confusion, a label or other suitable means of identification shall be provided to indicate the purpose of each item of switchgear and controlgear. Where the operator cannot observe the operation of switchgear and controlgear and where this might lead to danger, a suitable indicator complying, where applicable, with BS EN 60073 and BS EN 60447, shall be fixed in a position visible to the operator."

In commerical buildings, it's quite common to label every accessory with the DB and circuit ID, but noone does that in domestic properties.

The problem with labelling the DB is that it's difficult to be precise in the limited space available. If the circuits are mostly split upstairs/downstairs but there are a few exceptions is it better to label them "upstairs" and "downstairs" and possible mislead people or is it better to just label them all "sockets"?

Just number them and put a circuit schedule on the inside of the flap.

Or adjacent on the wall. It's often done that way on non-dom installations.

It's not difficult to identify which mcb does what, make a list, print it out then encapsulate it and prop it up on top of the cu.

Yes it should be sufficiently labelled (and often a chart or similar to advise further). To do less is p**s poor practice and therefore fails on the most powerful reg in the book.

I once had a defect on an EICR recorded on an install of a complete house rewire I`d done a few years earlier.
The defect read "Downstairs socket on Upstairs circuit". I had not labelled the circuits as "upstsairs or downstairs" I had labelled them as a very brief description as to where they were and an instruction to consult the attached chart. A durable copy of that chart was still there affixed next to the consumer unit. One kitchen socket was on a different circuit to most of the others because of the building layout and cable run lengths/installation ease considerations.

In commerical buildings, it's quite common to label every accessory with the DB and circuit ID, but noone does that in domestic properties.
I do (in my 'domestic property') :) ... but only on the backs of the accessories, so not normally visible.

Most cables are also similarly labelled, but again not usually visible, the one exception being in the vicinity of some of my CUs/switchgear etc, where the labelling is visible (not very good photo!) ...
1689357572055.png

Kind Regards, John

Thank you to all who have replied ;)

Although I am still confused as to whether or not the current labelling complies to latest regs

It is a first floor flat with hallway / small room off hallway with CU in it / 2 bedrooms / bathroom / combined kitchen, dining, lounge area

I thought I had a picture of the CU but do not. Will try to get one over the weekend and post it

Whist I know, and am capable, of turning circuits on and off to determine what is covered should that really be necessary in a new build under current regs ?

Regards

Chris

Although I am still confused as to whether or not the current labelling complies to latest regs
I don't know what more we can say.

Whist I know, and am capable, of turning circuits on and off to determine what is covered should that really be necessary in a new build under current regs ?
NO - but as I said it is not the end of the world.

What if they had labelled it as they should have but you found a mistake?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back