How well / detailed should MCBs be marked regarding the circuits they protect

Although I am still confused as to whether or not the current labelling complies to latest regs
I would think that question has been addressed as well as is possible, but, in any event ...

My personal view is that far more important than whether the situation "complies with the latest regs" is the question of whether or not you know which MCB supplies which circuits (and which sockets etc.), so that you (or whoever) would know which one to switch off 'in an emergency'. If you don't think that is currently the case, then either you or someone else should do whatever is necessary to ensure that you have that information/knowledge, should you ever need it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't know what more we can say.

NO - but as I said it is not the end of the world.

What if they had labelled it as they should have but you found a mistake?
Not an uncommon thing to find I`m afraid.

PS - John I am impressed

"Except where there is no possibility of confusion, a label or other suitable means of identification shall be provided to indicate the purpose of each item of switchgear and controlgear. Where the operator cannot observe the operation of switchgear and controlgear and where this might lead to danger, a suitable indicator complying, where applicable, with BS EN 60073 and BS EN 60447, shall be fixed in a position visible to the operator."
Also a requirement around circuit charts, although interestingly this has been loosened for domestic premises only where the initial certification including this information has been issued.

Sponsored Links
PS - John I am impressed
Thanks!

Impressed with my practices (per photo)? If so, I didn't do that to impress anyone but, rather, because I got sick of having to spend a lot of time working out 'what was what' whenever I did any work on the installation! I also have fairly comprehensive 'circuit diagrams' (and have the equivalent for the complex plumbing, and other things, in my very large house) but they, in themselves, do not enable one to work out 'what is what' when looking at, say, a pile of unlabelled cables.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back