How wet should my muck be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What consistency should mortar be for repairing loose patio flags? I am going to buy builders sand and a bag of cement, just not quite sure what sort of consistency I should be looking at when mixed.

My steps up to the house are loose and need re-setting in mortar. Also, one of the pegs has come out my brick built BBQ and need to bed that back in.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hello mate.

Do not use MORTAR.

Use SAND AND CEMENT.

USE 3 parts SAND...And... One part CEMENT.

Mix the two together untill it resembles a cake mix texture. You do not want it too wet , but too dry is no good.

It will take about one day to go off ( set ) before you can walk on the steps.

As for the PIN / PEG... use an epoxy resin glue or sand and cement, the same mix as the steps.

I hope this helps...Martin

Mortar in my book anyhow, means sand and cement. For a good site regarding mixes, tips tricks and generally all things paths / patios / drives etc see here

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Spot on garrymum.Sand and cement:Wet mix,Dry mix.Both mortar.

Roughcaster.

I'd love to know what Martin thinks mortar is. Maybe he's confusing it with concrete?

Um ERRRRR

Sorry guys,

Yes I was thinking of concrete.

Must be the sun or lack of it !!!!!!!!!!

I'm a sparks by trade, but I do like doing all my own building / DIY at home that's why I use this site for all its fantastic tips...

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my ERRRRRR...

Thanks Martin

We all make mistakes...........ME more than others !!! ( sometimes )

You didn't offend anyone, just made a few of us think, well that's what I think mortar is maybe just maybe I've always been wrong :LOL:

im deepley offended........................its alright im over it now! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back