How would I block up a bath overflow?

The fitting may have become loose or not centered properly. Obviously the best way would be to be able to access it from under the bath and refit it properly. However you could try the following although the fitting may not be as I describe.

In the chrome cap you should find a small hole with a grub screw inside, this screw holds the cap on the spindle. Before loosening this screw make sure you cover the plughole with something in case the screw comes out and you drop it. Loosen this screw until you can pull the cap off the spindle. Underneath in the center will be the spindle and also a nut of some kind that holds the fitting to the bath, normally the nut has a hole where the spindle comes through, around will be the overflow plate with holes in it. There may or may not be a rubber seal between this plate and the bath but outside of the hole will be a rubber seal and then the outer assembly that the nut screws in to. If you look through the overflow holes you may be able to see the rim of the hole in the bath that the overflow assembly fits through. If the overflow assembly looks fairly central then tightening this nut may seal the assembly better. If the assembly is off centered then loosening this nut may allow you to tease the assembly up/down/left/right until it is centered. However if you loosen it too much then you could detatch the assembly completely and then you would have to take the tiles off to reassemble, so do so with extreme caution. I would try and tighten it first to see if that seals it.

Sponsored Links
There's no grub screw on the chrome handle? I've triple checked it and its smooth all the way around and on the front. I can't see how it's being held on?

:cry:

Sponsored Links
As in the link by Obiplumbkinobi it probably is a snap on cap. Gently try and ease it off. In the link diagram it shows a large thumb wheel that screws on to hold it all together. Whatever is under there try tightening first.

A big thanks for the info. Will give it a go over the weekend and post back how it goes...

Thanks again for all your help :D

http://www.taps4less.co.uk/pdf/Pop%20Up%20Bath%20Waste%20E357%20Instructions.pdf

Sorry try this

Obi,

I prised the chrome handle off today following your excellent advice. The overflow is plumbed in. There's a seal around the back of the hole in the bath and I'm wondering if the bath waste has loosened slightly and allowed water in?

I've re-tightened it. I didn't want to tighten it too much as, with it being plastic, I didn't want to strip the thread. But I've tightened it as much as I dare so I'm going to try the bath over the next day or so and see how it goes...

Fingers crossed it's sorted it.

I'll post back to let everyone know one way or another but just wanted to specially thank you as, your drawing, gave me the confidence (and knowledge) to be able to get the chrome handle off and get this far.

Cheers

John :D

Failing that, there's always expanding foam down the hole. You may be able to get some nice peach coloured towels to go with it... :LOL:

Well... a couple of baths under our belt (including one where I deliberately filled the bath up as high as I think we would ever need to) and no leakage so far....

So, fingers well and truly crossed that it is fixed!

A massive thanks to everyone who helped. And, at least I now know how to get the bath waste off should it need to be re-tightened.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back