How's your luck with Premium Bonds?

£100

I read some time ago that NS had cut the number of small prizes. All very well waiting for the big one, but all of my reasonable, regular monthly wins were made up of £25s, £50s and the odd £100.

Sponsored Links
On a joint holding of how much ?

If you have £100,000 then that’s a tax free return of just under 5% which is ok if you got this every month

If you have £10,000 then that’s a tax free return of just under 50% if you got this every month
We have the maximum between us, and the return last year was 5.2% so happy with that.
It's really just a bit of a game for us, we don't need the cash.
John :)

Sponsored Links
£100

I read some time ago that NS had cut the number of small prizes. All very well waiting for the big one, but all of my reasonable, regular monthly wins were made up of £25s, £50s and the odd £100.

The number of £25 prizes has gone up again month

The number of £25 prizes is going up again next month

Thanks, didn't know that. I reckon there must have been a big reaction to reducing small prizes, as those are like interest on savings giving you some return. The really big prizes are obviously what everyone wants, but in reality will never get. If you're getting neither big or small wins many bail out. Before they reduced the small ones, some months I had £300 or £400 made up of mostly £25s. Then that bit of income almost dried up.

Anyway, will be quids in again from next month! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks, didn't know that. I reckon there must have been a big reaction to reducing small prizes, as those are like interest on savings giving you some return. The really big prizes are obviously what everyone wants, but in reality will never get. If you're getting neither big or small wins many many bail out. Before they reduced the small ones, some months I had £300 or £400 made up of mostly £25s. Then that bit of income almost dried up.

Anyway, will be quids in again from next month! :cool:

Lots of people criticised NS&I for reducing the number of £25 and £50 prizes

Very glad to see the number of these going up again

Every month I do a running calculation for the past 12 months.
2.50%​
2.04%​
2.61%​
2.61%​
2.67%​
3.00%​
2.83%​
2.67%​
2.44%​
2.06%​
2.06%​
2.06%​
1.78%​
1.72%​

Last edited:
A quick question for those with the maximum investment ... what happens to the prize money after you reach the max invested?

Do you have to take it in cash or can the pot still continue to grow but only by re-investment of prize monies?

A quick question for those with the maximum investment ... what happens to the prize money after you reach the max invested?

Do you have to take it in cash or can the pot still continue to grow but only by re-investment of prize monies?

Sent to you by cheque or paid into your nominated bank account

From the NS&I site -

Straight to your bank account

Having your prizes paid straight into your bank account (or NS&I Direct Saver) is quick, easy and safe. If you win, we’ll let you know the good news by email or text message. You’ll then normally receive your prize money in your bank account by the 7th working day of the month.

Reinvested into more Bonds

If you have less than the maximum invested then using your winnings to buy more Bonds can be a great way of boosting your chances of winning again. Choose this option and we’ll automatically reinvest the prize money for you. As a bonus, your new Bonds will be eligible to win prizes from the very next draw.

Through the post

You can choose to receive a cheque through the post if you prefer, but it does take longer.

To find out how to change the way you receive prizes, head over to our help article:

I haven't had any 25's for a while, which is all I used to get. It has been 50's and 100's - though no exciting total. It ought to come out, the rate of return isn't good.
Stick your dosh somewere more worthy, like on that icon of British excellence, Rolls Royce (German).
Ten grande of ye great British quids would have yielded enough of those non plain brown envelopes they rarely use properly with £25 in each, for two hundred and sixty six cheques ,
- for every month of the last year.
This is 3LRR at LSE

1709490537108.png

and you keep your stake.
If the rate continues, then by just after one more year, your 10k would be past the maximum you can win on Premium Bonds.

Sponsored Links
Back