HS2

this country is in a terrible state, for the worlds 6th largest economy the standard of living, public services, state pension, infrastructure etc etc is in a terrible state.
India and China have bigger economies than us. How would you rate their standards of living, public services, state pensions etc?

Sponsored Links
India and China have bigger economies than us. How would you rate their standards of living, public services, state pensions etc?
the UK has a terrible standard of living compared to equivalent economies.

The British public have been failed very badly by our leaders and our media

there is some research (I will try and find it) that’s shows countries with undemocratic, weak parliamentary systems have much worse wealth distribution than more advanced democracies, usually those with advanced forms of PR

This is not party political, our 2 party system is to blame: both Labour and Tory

Again on R5L, a bloke was on about the shambles that is UK capital projects.

Country's screwed, from the point-of-view that any future projects (and, for all I know, this and ones before) are victim to:

- firms won't bid in the first place, because they're crap contracts (goalposts keep moving, and might be canned anyway)
- those that do bid, inflate their prices massively, to account for the above.

Sh!tshow.

The greatest investment we made was the post war rebuild as politicians saw the need to rebuild the country and took control.

The current set of politicians are too enamoured with market forces as being the only determinant in the viability of major projects.

What these projects provide is the externalities - the benefits that get accrued and captured by wide society that cannot be captured by the project costs itself. Imagine we wanted to build extra roads - the current mindset would be we need to do it on a transactional basis where we charge per user but long term having anyone use the road would accrue greater benefits.

The short termist thinking of the politicians in power is criminal.

Sponsored Links
Care to tell us where India and China come compared to the UK as GDP per capita?

Don't worry, I'll help you out...

Linky Linky

My point is the fact that being high up in the table of wealthy economies is no guarantee of standards of living, public services, pensions etc.

By wealthy - you mean by their size - as to wealth then are you referring to how the wealth is distributed within the economies- how unequal it is?

Then what is the purpose of the Government? If it is not to serve and improve the lot of it's citizens?

So let me get this straight.

HS2 has to be scrapped because it is too expensive - the benefits do not outweigh the costs.

Ok - so do we need better transport in the UK? Are we then using that money instead to build out our infrastructure?

I see criminally low amounts of infrastructure investment in the uk - the argument being we can't afford it.

We are crippled by short termism in this country.

A Conservative politician on a tv prog yesterday summed the HS2 challenges up nicely, and other big infrastructure projects we attempt to do. We live in a democracy, this is obviously a good thing. And before anyone says 'do we?' well let's put it this way, we ain't North Korea. However he went on to say we create further challenges, delays and overspend by consulting too many people, groups and organisations when trying to do this sort of stuff.

I agree with this. Now of course we don't want to live in a dictatorship with zero public/business consultation, however there's a balance to be struck and I feel we've gone too far the other way. It links to another post I made about things being overly bureaucratic.

'The project is currently on hold after we found a nest containing eggs from the greater breasted pink tit, a very rare bird. We will now consult with the RSPB, RSPCA, PETA, WWF and the Greater Breasted Pink Tit Society to ensure all relevant measures are in place to ensure the safety of these animals. We anticipate a delay with clearance activities of approx. 6 months to allow a full report into these findings.'

'The project is currently on hold after we found a nest containing eggs from the greater breasted pink tit, a very rare bird. We will now consult with the RSPB, RSPCA, PETA, WWF and the Greater Breasted Pink Tit Society to ensure all relevant measures are in place to ensure the safety of these animals. We anticipate a delay with clearance activities of approx. 6 months to allow a full report into these findings.'
Was the GBPTS started by Benny Hill?

Not really as it’s **** all to do with the post I was quoting and replying to.
It must be so frustrating for you being shown up time and time again...

I guess that's why shortly afterwards you set up your trolling 'company' topic :LOL:

It must be so frustrating for you being shown up time and time again...

I guess that's why shortly afterwards you set up your trolling 'company' topic :LOL:
I repeat. Not really, as its **** all to do with the post I quoted and was replying to.

If you want to start a thread on that particular topic, go ahead. You'll no doubt get either the same lack of response or ridicule that you usually get in threads you start.

Sponsored Links
Back