human race

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will the human race ever become extinct, ? will man be around in it's current form for ever, or are we just like a chapter in a book, will we develop in to another mass of cells to form something else, just like our ancestor's the ape, and the ape's ancestor's. or will mother nature decide what the outcome will be ?

Sponsored Links
let me know when you find out :LOL: but whatever happens i suppose Chelsea will still be top of the prem

Unfortunately we are devolving at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Ah the big question! Will we be around long enough to evolve? If you listen to some emminent scientists then we might evolve faster than you think by artificial means ie we will become more and more bionic!
I'm not too sure many will take up this unless forced to through illness or vanity but genetics might be one way we change ourselves, and what with the food and disease situation becoming a bigger and bigger problem genetics is here to stay and in the future i believe it will be allowed to be used more to help us as humans to exist.

kendor said:
Ah the big question! Will we be around long enough to evolve? If you listen to some emminent scientists then we might evolve faster than you think by artificial means ie we will become more and more bionic!
I'm not too sure many will take up this unless forced to through illness or vanity but genetics might be one way we change ourselves, and what with the food and disease situation becoming a bigger and bigger problem genetics is here to stay and in the future i believe it will be allowed to be used more to help us as humans to exist.

Ahh, but also lob into the equation that we genetically "dilute" ourselves by allowing naturally unviable humans to survive and procreate due to our medical interventions. The human race is verging on the power to genetically set it's own destiny (perhaps) but how will the social / ethical implications play into this. Then again maybe BOB's meteor is just a little late.

To be honest I don't really think we will be round long enough to evolve. I reckon that within a couple of hundred years there will not be too many humans left.

My personal view is that much of the normal natural evolution that the animal kingdom undergoes is now beyond our grasp. Our technology and lifestyle now keeps us outside of this natural rythm as the pressures that influence evolution now do not effect the vast majority of the Human Species.

Obviously we are still suseptable to evolution, as a result of virii and bacteria that make small changes to DNA/RNA without seemingly making us ill, but this is so small an effect that we can eradicate it with modern medicine as a rule.

The future of the human animal is largely in our hands, although nature is more than capable of eradicating us through several processes, and if we live long enough then eventually we will encounter one of these processes. How we come out the other side of such an even will largely depend on the type of event, it's effect globally, how many humans survive the initial event and whether our technology is of any use during and after.

I don't understand what you mean about the ape - the great apes came from a common ancestor - we didn't branch off from monkeys and they stayed as they are.

I personally believe we are already in the downward spiral toward extinction.

No matter how clever we think we are, everything we know comes from the planet we live on, because we are on this planet. (We couldn't explore space and use telescopes without the Earth). And yet we are messing it up. Through war, famine and disease it is saying "enough". Nature causes these things as we are a product of nature. We are trying to learn but most of us won't listen and the way we live has gone too far anyway - we can't go back to live in harmony and all that. Eventually things will get so bad something drastic will have to be done. But we won't do it, the ecosystem we live in will.

The planet has been around 4.57 billion of years and humans for a fraction of that time. It is just that fraction has been suitable for us, that's all. I am sure the dinosaurs didn't enjoy becoming largely extinct but it happened. We'll get our time.

There are some fantastic anthropology books by a bloke called Jared Diamond. They are very accessible and funny too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2105717-0771040

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...54506/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-2105717-0771040

That's why I believe you should try and make life as enjoyable as possible and be nice to people and animals. Ahhh.

DDoyle said:
Obviously we are still suseptable to evolution, as a result of virii and bacteria that make small changes to DNA/RNA without seemingly making us ill, but this is so small an effect that we can eradicate it with modern medicine as a rule.

In the end one of those virii or bacteria will make us extinct, cause those things can adept/evolve much quicker then we ever can (even with modern medicine)

WoodYouLike said:
In the end one of those virii or bacteria will make us extinct,

I agree, we could be destroyed by man (virii) or bacteria... or possibly viruses :p (sorry, just being very very pedantic: plural of "virus" is actually "viruses"! :LOL: )

I had actually tried to write what Eddie has but I couldn't do it without sounding like a mad eugenicist. One example of how this is taking place is observed in the size of women's pelvises. It used to be that a woman with a small pelvis was more likely to die during child birth, however with modern medicine she is at no more risk than her "could give birth to a horse" sister. This is good news, and a narrow pelvis really isn't anything to worry about. Worst case, you have to have a c-section birth.

However, at the risk of being controversial, look at the Hapsburg family (and possibly it's modern descendents, I'm not saying anything!). Centuries of inbreeding resulted in haemophylia, slack jaws, reduced intellect and an increased susceptibility to illness. Luckily for them, wealth buys health and so they have survived to this day despite a "no skinny dipping" rule in their gene-pool. In the wild, they wouldn't have survived breeding in such a way. They would either have died out because of all the genetic defects that creep in, or they wouldn't have been breeding with their cousins in the first place.

And what about all the poor inbred dogs you see waddling about barely able to breathe? All because some moron decided that this breed of dog should have feet that turn a particular way and skinfolds on it's face.

germ warfare will see us off

the usa already has a virus that can target a specific group of people ( CHINESE ) they probably have there own genocide tool

oh my

Adam, thank you for the correct, I made the mistake of using the unofficial form of the plural which is often used for computer viruses (virii). It would appear this is used to distiguish it from organic or pathological viruses which are the ones that infect living creature.

I apologise for my error, I shall ensure I do not repeat the mistake. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back